By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Just diagnosed, help please

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Loops

Just diagnosed, help please

Post by Loops »

Hello,

I’ve just got back from the hospital following a horrific day of bleeding and waiting yesterday.

I finally got seen this morning in the early pregnancy unit where they have confirmed an ectopic pregnancy with expectant management. I have a few questions that I forgot to ask and wondered if someone can help please?

My hcg was 87, how fast does hcg usually fall (if in fact it does fall?)
Can I go in to work as usual during this time as long as I’m not doing anything strenuous?
I’m so anxious that things will go wrong, I can’t sleep or relax
The ectopic measures 10x10x11mm. Is this considered large/small?

Thank you

Rebel06

Re: Just diagnosed, help please

Post by Rebel06 »

Dear Loops,

I am recovering from an ectopic pregnancy surgery. From diagnosis of being an ectopic to having my surgery was all of 5 days! Not to alarm you, but ectopic pregnancies are treated as emergencies and the doctors will want to treat it or operate on it as soon as possible as otherwise, it may be a threat to you. As soon as I was diagnosed, the hospital kept me on my toes with constant phone calls asking me to come in for blood tests and ultrasound tests. In a normal pregnancy, the hcg levels should double every 48 hours, but mine were increasing slowly, starting at 700 and then increasing to 900 in 2 days. By the time they operated my hcg levels were approx 1200. The best way to monitor you is to track your hcg levels, which the hospital should know from taking blood tests every 48 hours. I'm sure your hospital has advised you of the same.
My ectopic case needed surgery as my hcg levels were growing, but if your hcg levels remain the same or decrease, then they might use the medicine for you. Hence it is important to know your hcg levels. Whatever your hcg levels, the doctors will always give you a choice about how you want to manage this. Regd. work, I would advise, if you can get away with it, try to take it slow, like maybe working from home or working part-time. Anyway, the number of visits to the hospital will take up a considerable amount of your time.
And good luck. Be strong and know that there are so many of us who have been through this journey and have emerged on the other side.

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Loops,

I am so sorry that you are going through this worrying time and suffering this ectopic pregnancy and loss. In regards to your situation and expectant management, when your hCG levels fall below 5mIU/m you are then considered no longer pregnant. It is difficult to say how long it takes for hCG levels to fall, and it is important for you to continue blood tests until your levels are below 5 mlU/m.

Going through an ectopic pregnancy is physical and emotional trauma, and you may find that you need some time off work. If you do attend, please avoid strenuous activity or heavy lifting.

I know waiting for hCG levels can be an anxious time, and while I don't want to worry you, there remains a chance of rupture until you are at the non-pregnant levels. For these reasons, it is important to stay alert to any symptoms of pain, particularly abdominal or shoulder tip pain, or heavy bleeding. In these cases, you will want to be seen at the A&E.

Please look after yourself right now as it is the most important thing. I know it can be easier said than done to relax, but as much as possible take it as easy as possible. We are here for anything you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

***********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
***********************************************************************************************

EctopicPUL

Post by EctopicPUL »

You will be okay.

I also had successful expectant management.

It’s stressful and take care of your emotional health between blood tests. Don’t be surprised if your hcg goes up and they still don’t intervene. When the hcg is low they’re often happy to wait for it to fall naturally. I wasn’t prepared for it to go up and down for a while.

There is no average for how quickly it goes down. Mine took weeks of going up and down to then steadily fall.

Hang in there X