By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Curious about many things after ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
lda520

Curious about many things after ectopic pregnancy

Post by lda520 »

Hi guy! So I’m new to these discussion boards, but I recently suffered an ectopic pregnancy and ive been a mess ever since.

I found out on June 9th that I was pregnant and scheduled an appointment for a few days after that to make sure everything was fine. I went into the ER on the 12th because of bleeding, and after that I had my appointment on the 19th and found out that day My pregnancy was ectopic and I was around 3-4 weeks along. I was devastated as I’ve always wanted to be a mother. This pregnancy want planned, but I guess things don’t always work out as planned :( . I was given a shot in each of my hips of methotrexate on the 20th and now here we are on the 28th and I’m finally having my first bleed.

I was just curious if I could get pregnant on the first bleed or not? My levels were around 3,000 before my shot, and then they fell to 1,700 a few days later. On my last HCG test it went up to 1,800 and now they want me to do another blood draw on Monday and another shot if my levels haven’t dropped.

I’m just so confused and still heart broken. My first pregnancy and this is what I have to deal with while dealing with the grief from it all. It’s just been hard and I have so many questions and google isn’t helping any lol so I guess my initial question is about getting pregnant again and if it’s possible. I don’t want to do another shot if I may be pregnant somehow, but at the same time I’m not sure how I could be if my uterus is shedding the lining right now from the ectopic. And then I was wondering if my HCG levels have to drop below 25 or 0 before I can conceive again. I’ve seen where people have got pregnant weeks after the methotrexate shot, so my questions are only half answered and I’m wondering if it could happen for me too.

Should I ask to have another ultrasound to make sure I’m not pregnant again? Or would that be stupid to ask? I’m just so cared to get another shot and get rid of a pregnancy that may be there, but may not.

Sorry this is so long lol I just have so many questions that I can’t find on google and I’m just scared to ask my doctor because I’m terrible at face to face conversations with someone I don’t know lol I feel like all my questions are dumb, but I guess I just need some reassurance :|

sayrian

Re: Curious about many things after ectopic pregnancy

Post by sayrian »

Wow, I am literally going through the exact same thing you are right now. I got my shot on the 21st and am bleeding today too. I'm so sorry this is happening to you and I agree it is stressful, upsetting and confusing all at the same time!

Now I am not a doctor but I completely understand the obsessive google searching.

If I am understanding you correctly you are trying to figure out if you could be pregnant again after the ectopic happened this month, correct? From what I've found, it's probably not going to be a NEW pregnancy it's the old one that is stuck in the tube. If the methotrexate (the shot) didn't work or was only half effective (meaning HCG goes back up) then it means the old pregnancy is still growing (similar to a tumor) and they need to give another shot or do surgery to remove it. From everything I've read if the HCG doesn't drop at an appropriate rate, the ectopic pregnancy could burst, yikes :(

Again, I'm not a doctor so I might be wrong, but I think it is not likely for your body to have another pregnancy until your HCG goes back to 0. If your HCG is above a certain level (I think it's like 10?) then your body/ovary simply won't release an egg.

I did read that there have been cases where there was an egg stuck in the fallopian tube and another in the uterus at the same time, but from what I read that is rare. It might be something worth talking to your doctor about though if you are concerned. I know it is scary talking to your doctor for fear of looking dumb, but as one nurse told me "It's not like you go through this every day and it is fairly rare!" so you can start with that. Just explain that "I tried searching things on google because I didn't want to ask a dumb question but I am still confused and want to make sure that we aren't hurting any other possible viable pregnancies. Can you please explain it to me."

As for trying again, the chances are definitely increased for us to have ectopic again, but it appears the statistics are still good within 18-24 months. (This link has some good information: https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/trying-to-conceive/)

I have definitely been told by my doctor to wait three months before trying to conceive again because the shot depletes the folic acid in your body and the chances of a baby surviving/thriving in a body with no folic acid is low.