By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

How long can you bleed for and what should I do?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
gymbunny

How long can you bleed for and what should I do?

Post by gymbunny »

Hi,

I should be about 5 weeks pregnant by now but I have been bleeding everyday for the last 4 weeks. At first it was brown blood so I thought it was implantation bleeding but then it changed to fresh blood and now it seems to be getting darker again. It is only really there when I go to the toilet and I am not bleeding all day, it starts and stops. My levels went from 62 to 79 to 85 and were taken 48 hours apart. I was sent to the hospital as they were worried it's ectopic but after scans, urine tests etc they can't find anything. I'm not generally in any pain, I had 2 days of mild period pain type cramps when I was bleeding the fresh blood but now I just feel extremely bloated.

I have been told to give it a week (until Monday) and then have another blood test to check my levels. I'm so confused and petrified of what will happen next as surely after I have been bleeding for so long it wont come away on it's own? Has anyone had this and it's sorted itself out? If so, how long does the bleeding last? I'm getting really anxious about it all and having panic attacks. No none has told me if I'm better to rest or carry on as normal? I normally go to the gym everyday and I have cut it down to every alternate day because that is what clears my head but I feel like maybe I shouldn't be exercising?

I'd appreciate any advice as I feel in limbo at the moment waiting to see what happens next.

sayrian

Re: How long can you bleed for and what should I do?

Post by sayrian »

So I'm not a doctor but I can share what my doctor said.

For context: At 5 weeks, my ectopic was 4cm big (probably mostly blood filled). It was extremely obvious on the ultrasound and it still didn't burst. I was in mild pain but nothing huge and my HCG levels were around 700. I had brown blood then red blood for a few days before the ultrasound. I got a shot of methotrexate and was told to take it easy.

From what my doctors have told me, when the HCG so low they can't see much. They were surprised to be able to see mine at 700. At 200 HCG mine was about 2cm big, so since your HCG is low it is possible that it is simply too small to see, be it in the uterus or fallopian tube. It sounds like your doctors aren't very concerned, but make sure you bring up your concerns with them. If they haven't found it to be ectopic, they might think it is a miscarriage instead, since the levels are increasing so slow. Miscarriages can go away on their own or may need medical help, though I don't know much about that, sorry. I DO know there is something called expectant management where ectopics resolve on their own I read about it here: https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/ . Mine actually started to resolve on its own but the methotrexate helped it along.

As for avoiding rupturing, if it is ectopic, I was told to avoid lifting things and to avoid strenuous activity. For me the pain got worse when I did so much as walk, probably because mine was so big. I say listen to your body and your doctors and do what is best for your health and mental health. Limbo sucks, a lot, but so does methotrexate and so does surgery. Either way it is going to be limbo for a while and I agree, it sucks.

EctopicPUL

Re: How long can you bleed for and what should I do?

Post by EctopicPUL »

I bled throughout my management for 7 weeks. Bleeding daily but stop start throughout the day, everything from spotting to passing tissue. Some people don’t bleed at all. Really varies