By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Didn't know i was pregnant (three week period)

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
kennard

Didn't know i was pregnant (three week period)

Post by kennard »

Hi, i found out i was pregnant via routine blood tests last Friday (four days ago) taken before flying to the US (from New Zealand) next Tuesday.

Pregnancy was the first a shock (because i had what i thought was my period for three weeks) then finding out via a scan later in the day it was ectopic at 2.5 cm next to my left ovary. My HCG was 120 and has since gone down to 88 HCG.

My two questions are; because I've been bleeding for so long maybe I've miscarried already? I have been bleeding a normal period amount for three weeks now and gone through brown to fresh blood stages (this morning i thought it was over with brown but in the last hour its gotten heavier and red again with increased cramping. Does this sound like i'm still miss carrying? (i haven't passed any clots) I opted the expectant management option when discharged on Friday.

My second question is my flight is in one week - will there be any chance my levels will get low enough for a 13 hour flight in a week? (88HCG currently)

Also am i still at risk of rupture, or on the tail end? Thanks in advance x

EPT Host 20

Re: Didn't know i was pregnant (three week period)

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Kennard,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and appreciate what a huge shock you have been through.

I am sorry if this is a little difficult to read but with treatment for ectopic pregnancy through expectant management, when the pregnancy is ended, the whole pregnancy sac including any cells that might have grown into a baby is usually reabsorbed by the body. This is normal and happens in many cases of miscarriage. This process can take weeks and sometimes months. In some cases, the Fallopian tube may remain blocked and take time to shrink. Sometimes the tissue can separate and be passed through the vaginal bleeding that occurs. The bleeding that follows an ectopic pregnancy can be very heavy and clotty and result in the passing of what we call a decidual cast. This decidual cast is the lining of the uterus when we are pregnant. The sudden drop in hormones can cause the material inside the uterus to be shed in layers and the material that is passed can be grey, pink or white as well as appear like a clot or dark or frank red blood. Women can often mistake it for the tissue of their baby which can cause worry but it is important to remember that it is a normal process for the uterus lining to be shed.

There is sadly a risk of rupture and I would only travel on medical advice.
We have more information on medical management here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

Please be kind to yourself, avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

kennard

Re: Didn't know i was pregnant (three week period)

Post by kennard »

Thanks Karen. An update on my side is that a few hours after posting that the pain, bleeding and cramps got alot worse and i ended up going to ED. The removed my tube and the 'mass' the following morning. In recovery now, thanks for helping so many people on this website. God Bless xx