By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Mass after treatment of ectopic with Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
nikhitha28

Mass after treatment of ectopic with Methotrexate

Post by nikhitha28 »

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Ectopic pregnancy on May3rd and was given methotrexate injection the same day. The mass was 1.2cm on the day of injection and beta hcg 1470. Beta hcg values were May7th - 3152, May10th - 2479, May 18th - 717, May 28th - 75, June 5th - 42, June 11th- 28, July 2nd - 5.
Followup Ultrasound was performed on July 9th and there is a heterogeneous structure adjacent to right ovary measuring 4.3 * 1.9 * 2.8 . My GP says that its the ectopic mass in right tube it will be absorbed by the body or remain there blocking the tube. Is it possible for this mass to grow and rupture the tube? I am really scared and fear go back to normal activities like zumba or plan any travels. The GP says I can ignore the mass and they will have to remove it laparoscopically only if I suffer pain because of it. I have a followup ultrasound after 2 months.

Please let me know if it can rupture my tube if I do any physical activity. Should I ask for one more beta hcg count to make sure beta hcg is not increasing again. I am so confused. Please help.

EPT Host 20

Re: Mass after treatment of ectopic with Methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear nikhitha28,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss, and I understand your concern.
The risk form rupture occurs as the cells are dividing and growing. When your hCG reaches 0, the cells are no longer dividing so you are no longer at risk of rupture.
The ‘reabsorption’ you refer to can take weeks and sometimes months to be complete. I am afraid it can be difficult to be precise because our bodies are all unique and we respond differently physiologically with what is happening. In some instances, the fallopian tube may remain blocked by the pregnancy tissue which can take some time to shrink and, occasionally, it may not shrink and will leave a blockage in the tube by way of a small cyst. However, the use of Methotrexate does not reduce the chances of successful future pregnancy, whatever the outcome in the affected fallopian tube.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Towers

Post by Towers »

Hi Nikita,
Did this resolve for you?

nikhitha28

Post by nikhitha28 »

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Hi Towers,

I still have some mild pain. Ultrasound is scheduled for next month. Will let you know the outcome

Towers

Post by Towers »

Thanks nikhitha28, I appreciate it. I hope the pain goes and this all over soon for you.

Doublell718

Post by Doublell718 »

Did your mass end up going away? How long did it take? I am at 3 months post methotrexate and it was still there in my scan six weeks ago. I still feel some discomfort and tinges of pain on my right side where the ectopic pregnancy was. I have another scan on Monday and I really don't think it will be gone, but am crossing my fingers. I wish there was more research that indicates how long it typically takes for the mass to be reabaorbed.

Dory

Post by Dory »

Hi,

So sorry to hear this is what you have been going through.

I’m messaging here as I believe this story resonates with mine.

I had methotrexate at 2037 hcg. My blood tests were tracked until I was at 5.5 hcg. I had a lot of fatigue with this drug, and a manageable amount of infrequent abdominal pain.

However, I had pain in my right shoulder, vomiting and diarrhoea, which led me to EPU to get a scan (I was referred via A&E), uncovering a similar mass. This was a mass next to my right ovary and looked the size of my ovary. It had started to leak a tiny amount of blood into my pelvis.

Despite having methotrexate and my hcg being near back to normal, a decision was made for me to have surgery to remove my right tube along with the mass.

The reason was because the doctors couldn’t put a timeline on if and when this mass would be cleared. They also felt if I tried to get pregnant again post the 6 month methotrexate wait, they would kick themselves if it happened on the right and they didn’t move the damaged tube and mass to begin with.