By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Help please?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Missdani954

Help please?

Post by Missdani954 »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I am very confused and welcome any feedback as to what the heck is  going on with me.

6/27 Intercourse
7/1 or 7/2 First day of LMP
7/4 or 7/5 Last day of menstrual period
7/14 Intercourse
7/18 Emotions were crazy, called out of work
7/19 Woke up bleeding, heavy for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, blood was bright red, no clotting - took 3 Clear Blue digital at different times of the day (all pregnant) and 2 cheap tests from Walmart (both had faint lines, 1 was much clearer than the other)
7/24 OBGYN appt, took 1st HCG test
7/26 HCG test results are in, levels at 59
7/29 HCG test # 2
7/31 HCG test results are in, level is 89- obviously not doubling and I have been spotting everyday from light pink to brown blood after wiping or in panties. The doctor had me come in for an ultrasound for an ectopic pregnancy, results were inconclusive. I discovered that I had two cysts on my right ovary, one large and one small right next to each other. I also had a cyst like structure by the tube that couldn't be ruled as being ectopic. The ultrasound tech repeatedly asked me if I was in pain and even pressed on my stomach at one point, I've had zero pain.
8/2 HCG test #3

My doctor does not treat high risk pregnancies, I go back to see another doctor in the same practice on Monday. I'm wondering is it possible that I experienced a vanishing twin? Perhaps that's the cause of the bleeding on 7/19 and the two side-by-side cysts (if they are corpus luteum cysts). This could also explain why I tested positive so early and now have slow rising HCG.

Some additional background, I once had a obgyn tell me that I had PCOS after a blood test in 2014. I really did not like this doctor as she made me very sick by encouraging me to take high levels of vitamins that she sold in her practice. I also did not believe it was possible for me to have PCOS as I am skinny and have never experienced any text book symptoms other than irregular periods. I am now thinking what If I do have PCOS? In 2017 I had a blood test with a glucose reading of 50, perhaps glucose intolerance (text book symptom). It could also explain the cysts perhaps. I have been off birth control for 2 years and have not conceived, also a potential sign of PCOS. I have also read that women with the disorder are known to have slow rising HCG.

I'm so confused and I know there is definetly a chance of a bad outcome here, I would love to know if anyone has experienced anything like this.

EPT Host 20

Re: Help please?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Missdani954,
I am so sorry to hear of the worrying and confusing time you are going through. Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your symptoms and would advise speaking through your concerns with your medical practitioner.

When diagnosing an ectopic pregnancy, doctors use a combination of transvaginal ultrasound scanning and blood tests to check HCG levels. Usually scans take place at around six weeks gestation as there is a reasonable chance of seeing an embryo at around this time. If scans are inconclusive, doctors usually test hCG levels and a hCG level that is rising by less than 66% over 48 hours can mean it is likely, but not a certainty, that the pregnancy is ectopic.

If no pregnancy can be seen in the uterus, or there is a small gestation sac in the uterus without a yolk sac or embryo, the pregnancy will be medically labelled as a Pregnancy of Unknown Location or PUL. It is important to understand that PUL is not a diagnosis; it is a label given until the final location of the pregnancy can be identified with certainty. In the event of a PUL, blood will be taken to measure serum progesterone and hCG and the hCG test repeated 48 hours later. The doctors would also want to repeat the scan.

Until the location of the pregnancy is known definitively or the serum hormone levels have decreased to below pregnancy levels, there is a risk of complications associated with an as yet undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy. For every 100 pregnancies labelled as a PUL about 10 will subsequently be found to be ectopic; and not all of these will need treatment.

I would think that your doctor will continue to monitor you closely until you have some clearer answers, but sadly I do have to remind you that if you experience any abdominal pain, worsening vaginal bleeding, shoulder tip pain or feel dizzy and unwell to seek urgent medical advice.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team