By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant Management or Methotrexate?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
pammy3

Expectant Management or Methotrexate?

Post by pammy3 »

Hi all,

First off, this website & message board has been a godsend over this last week of unexpected events!

Felt pregnant (first time) 2 weeks ago, but was bleeding a lot. Went to GP on Friday, by that afternoon was at hospital being prepped for emergency surgery. HCG level was around 4500 and was in pain.

However surgery got delayed & next day levels had dropped to around 2500 so surgeon offered methotrexate as the mass was also only 2cm (and I think only 2 weeks pregnant-absolute maximum-4-so caught early).

I opted for meth but had to wait til next day, in which case levels went down again to around 1400. I was really unsure about methotrexate as hated thought of not trying for 6 months and no direct sunlight for 3, plus side effects sounded unpleasant, so they said I could do expectant management.

After 4 days of monitoring in hospital, went home. Been feeling fine, odd twinges, paracetemol sorts it, still light bleeding but fine. However, been in today & two days previously and each time only going down by 200 each time so obviously slowing. Now at about 1200.

My question is-should I wait it out with expectant-as judging by some posts here, my level is still quite high. Or just go for the injection & get over with? Or does that also take weeks to get levels down to zero?!

It's so confusing!

EPT Host 22

Re: Expectant Management or Methotrexate?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Pammy3,

I'm so sorry to hear all that you have been going through this week. You've been through so much, and now are sitting with options which may not have clear cut answers. Not being medically qualified, I cannot suggest a specific pathway for you.

As you'll see on these boards, some women have succeeded with expectant management and others with methotrexate. In most cases, they both take time (often weeks), and they both require you to monitor your hCG levels and symptoms carefully until they return to hCG levels <5 mIU/mL.

I would suggest continuing to speak about options with the hospital team, as they would be best placed to know the most suitable choices for your situation. The Trust does recommend avoiding vigorous activity or heavy lifting while your hCG levels are reducing. And, although I do not wish to alarm you, I would like to gently remind you to seek urgent medical attention if you experience any unusual bleeding/pain/increased body temperature.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, by volunteering, or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

EctopicPUL

Re: Expectant Management or Methotrexate?

Post by EctopicPUL »

Can't advise as everyone's journey is individual . I did expectant management for about 7 weeks and by the end was begging for the methotrexate (which had initially terrified me).

If you don't want delays in trying to conceive it may be worth waiting it out. But take into consideration your mental health too and sometimes a speedier recovery is less strain.

Good luck though.