By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Serendipity

Methotrexate

Post by Serendipity »

Hello everyone I’m new here.
I had the methotrexate injection on the 22nd of July and I have had a heavy bleed and fatigue. Twenty days later I found myself in A and E with pain down one side, fever and sickness. I was kept in for 24 hours but not scanned as they are unable to do this over the weekend. I was told that it was not a rupture as my HCG has dropped from 1017 to one hundred and something... I am no longer in severe physical pain just discomfort.
I have been attending the EPU frequently and will go again tomorrow , my self esteem has diminished and I’m off work sick. I am 39 and I was so excited to be having my first child, this is a cruel condition.
Has anyone else had side affects from methotrexate over two weeks later?
Thanks

NinjaPenguin

Re: Methotrexate

Post by NinjaPenguin »

I had my injection on 21st and apart from exhaustion, which had been on going, my bleeding and pain has only just started. I went to EPU with severe(ish) pain. Turns out I had a blood clot that got shifted by an internal scan and the pain went off. Take cocodomol if paracetamol isnt working, but not for any longer than 3 days cause it can be addictive.

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Thank you, I am no longer in pain just exhausted.

MrsD83

Post by MrsD83 »

I had the injection last week and heavy bleeding started 5 days after. I still have it. It sounds awful what you went through. I do hope you're ok. I'm 36 and feel so sad too as this would've been our 1st. Keep resting and reach out to others when you can.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear serendipity,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Many women feel very tired and are shocked by the sheer exhaustion that they encounter during treatment with methotrexate. I personally felt my pain worsened around a week after the injection, but like you my hCG levels fell consistently. It is encouraging to hear your levels have fallen and you should continue having blood tests until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL. Until then continue to report any worsening pain or feeling unwell.
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.
Please be kind to yourself allow time to grieve to heal both physically and emotionally.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team