By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Fertility tests

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Oneday3

Fertility tests

Post by Oneday3 »

I had an ectopic surgery Oct 31st, 2018. Everything happened so quickly that day, I had no time to process what was going on much less how I felt.
After two weeks recovery time, I was back at work. I thought working would keep my mind focused on something else. It's been a long road of grief.
I was terrified to start trying again but I know I want a baby above everything else. We've been trying since January.
Every month, taking a pregnancy test has been absolutely horrific. The buildup to hoping, praying, tracking, and the payoff has been one single line each time. The failure I feel of not being able to get pregnant again has been overwhelming. This past month the cycle started all over again with waiting, hoping, and no two lines.
Last month, I asked my doctor what we could do after 8 months of no pregnancy.
She referred me to have a saline sonogram to check my tubes.
Ive heard this procedure is uncomfortable and I am extremely anxious because I want there to be both nothing wrong with my tubes but also some explanation as to why I can't get pregnant.
Looking for advice/support from anyone that may have had this procedure or the other similar test where dye is inserted into your tubes to check for blockages.

EPT Host 22

Re: Fertility tests

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Dear Oneday 3,

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. It is normal to feel anxious about the future. We experience a mix of emotions from wanting to try again to being petrified of what may lie ahead. We never forget our babies, but we can learn to accept what happened. It is a slow process that might be weeks or months ahead. In time, we can get to a place where we feel comfortable trying again. When this is, is individual for each person. There is no timeframe for recovery, take each day as it comes.

Importantly, early scans are available. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self-referral route is the best in our view. Hopefully, you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

In terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, the chances of a further ectopic after a first in the UK is 10%. So that's a 90% chance of the embryo being in the right place next time. While generally, it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health, and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

Trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for Your Next Pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, by volunteering, or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team