By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

After Expectant Management-pain

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
pammy3

After Expectant Management-pain

Post by pammy3 »

After finding out I had an ectopic pregnancy 8 weeks ago I have been under expectant management. My hcg is now at 40 so hospital said no longer need to go in for blood tests, just need to do a pregnancy test in 3 weeks to check it's negative.

Seems straight forward, but 2 weeks ago, I suddenly had an intense crippling pain in my abdomen. Apparently I went pale, felt sick & dizzy (all the signs of a rupture). But mostly the pain in my rectum was intense. I was with my sister in law who is a nurse who looked after me and calmed me. Managed to avoid going into hospital and put it down to hormones giving me intense wind and constipation. I did feel dehydrated, but it was a horrific pain.

Since then, I have had pain in my entire stomach area and rectum, on and off for a couple of weeks. When last in the EPAU at hospital they said was just my body dealing with it all.

I still feel abdomen pain and a bit of rectum pain also. Is this just normal after expectant management? What kind of pains, if any do you feel? Concerned there could be internal bleeding?

Also, I feel like my insides are inflammed/damaged from this. Is there some kind of exploratory work I can get done, probably have to be private I assume?

Any help welcome

EPT Host 22

Re: After Expectant Management-pain

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Pammy3,

I'm so sorry to hear about your ectopic pregnancy and the worrying time you have been experiencing. It is very good that you are being looked after by the EPAU, and were able to have the support from your sister-in-law. I'm not medically qualified to comment on your specific situation and haven't gone through expectant management myself. However, and not to further worry you, but as your hcg levels are not yet under 5mIU/mL it remains important to look for signs of rupture (which it sounds like you are doing). My best advice to continue to seek medical care for these pains, especially while you are waiting for your hcg levels to decrease. It's important to listen to your body and to advocate for yourself until the time when hcg has further decreased.

If you have not already, you may want to read the Trust's expectant management leaflet. )https://www.ectopic.org.uk/wp-content/u ... gement.pdf) As always, we are here for you anytime and for as long as you need. Please continue to look after yourself and be sure to seek medical attention at the onset of any additional and severe symptoms.

With good wishes,

Michele

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

EctopicPUL

Re: After Expectant Management-pain

Post by EctopicPUL »

I had similar pain including one episode of acute pain. They did wonder if it was a cyst in the site of the ectopic but nothing showed on scans (ultrasound was weeks after the acute pain which could've been a burst).

I had persistent pain often when going to the loo etc on that side

It did settle with time and I have none now (1 year later)