By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Bleeding after Methoxetrate?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
K8Lou

Bleeding after Methoxetrate?

Post by K8Lou »

I was diagnosed with a small ectopic pregnancy (720hcg) last week and the consultant decided to treat me with Methoxetrate. Can I just ask people who have had this drug, does everyone experience bleeding or is it also working if you don't bleed? I'm on the morning of day 4 now following the injection and although I've been having some mild cramps during the last 24 hours I have yet to start bleeding again.
I bled for 7 days which prompted my trip to my local EPU, then I had 7 days no bleeding before starting methotrexate.
I'm worried that if I'm not bleeding it's not working?

Vches19

Re: Bleeding after Methoxetrate?

Post by Vches19 »

Hi K8Lou
I was wondering the same at the beginning. I had heavy bleeding on day 5&6 after MTX. I’ve been having “normal” bleeding since then and mild to moderate cramps on day 9 , 10 and 11.
My levels went up on day 4 and then decreased by 27% on day 7 (2700). Praying for this to end soon and wishing the best to all the mums experiencing this journey.

Vches19

Post by Vches19 »

Vches19 wrote:Hi K8Lou
I was wondering the same at the beginning. I had heavy bleeding on day 5&6 after MTX. I’ve been having “normal” bleeding since then and mild to moderate cramps on day 9 , 10 and 11.
My levels went up on day 4 and then decreased by 27% on day 7 (2700). Praying for this to end soon and wishing the best to all the mums experiencing this journey.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear K8lou,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I also had methotrexate injection, and found that my bleeding and tummy cramping worsened day 5-7 after the injection. I remember feeling really nervous about the uncertainty of not knowing if the injection was working.
Your hospital shoul make arrangements for you to have the hormone level checked. Your doctors will usually test your hCG levels on the day the medicine is given, again on day four, and on day seven after the injections.

The hCG level often rises on the day four blood test because the action of Methotrexate is not instantaneous, so the cells will have continued to divide for two or three days after the injection was given, and some cells release more hCG when they start to disappear. Your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days four and seven. If there has not been a 15% drop, this is when the doctors will consider a second dose of Methotrexate or surgery.

A few days after the injection, it is usual to begin to bleed and this bleeding can last between a few days and up to 6 weeks.

Every 3-7 days, beta hCG levels will continue to be monitored to ensure that they are falling appropriately. Most women only need one injection but in up to a quarter of cases a further injection may be required if serum hCG levels are not decreasing.

Please also take things easy and do not do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise whilst your levels are reducing.
Sending much love,
Karen x
The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

tryagain92

Post by tryagain92 »

K8Lou wrote:I was diagnosed with a small ectopic pregnancy (720hcg) last week and the consultant decided to treat me with Methoxetrate. Can I just ask people who have had this drug, does everyone experience bleeding or is it also working if you don't bleed? I'm on the morning of day 4 now following the injection and although I've been having some mild cramps during the last 24 hours I have yet to start bleeding again.
I bled for 7 days which prompted my trip to my local EPU, then I had 7 days no bleeding before starting methotrexate.
I'm worried that if I'm not bleeding it's not working?
I never bled with methotrexate and my levels dropped substantially each week. It’s been nearly 4 weeks now and I’ve just started to bleed. I’m not sure whether it is a period or just random bleeding from the MTX. But if you don’t bleed, it doesn’t mean it isn’t working, your body has the ability to absorb it as well so that is what could possibly be happening? X

K8Lou

Post by K8Lou »

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I'm on day 13 now and it's worked really well. My levels went from 728 day 1 to 364 by day 4 and then down to 212 by day 7.
Yes it seems some people don't bleed at all as the body just reabsorbs it.

tryagain92

Post by tryagain92 »

K8Lou wrote:Thanks everyone for your replies.
I'm on day 13 now and it's worked really well. My levels went from 728 day 1 to 364 by day 4 and then down to 212 by day 7.
Yes it seems some people don't bleed at all as the body just reabsorbs it.
Fantastic news :D