By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Want to do an HSG/HyCoSy even though not trying

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
StupidGirl

Want to do an HSG/HyCoSy even though not trying

Post by StupidGirl »

Hi all,

I have had an unplanned ectopic pregnancy almost 2 years ago, when I was 24, my left Fallopian tube was removed.

A gynecologist who I consulted shortly after recommended to get pregnant before 30 which is a stretch as I don’t even have a stable relationship yet.

I also asked if I can do HSG/HyCoSy to check the health of the remaining tube but she recommended against it because I’m not trying to conceive right now.

This year I was diagnosed mycoplasma and was treated with antibiotics. I don’t know for how long it was undiagnosed as it’s not part of a normal STI test. There’s a risk of tube damage as a result of it which makes me even more concerned about the health of the remaining tube.

So, the question: are there any downsides to go ahead and do a (private) test for Fallopian tube even though I’m not trying to conceive?
I would like to do it because if it ends up being blocked then I know that for future when/if I want to have kids then I’ll go straight to IVF and save myself pointless trying.
But both gynecologist and GP seem to recommend against it, for reasons I find hard to understand. I told them I’m happy to pay for it.

dlm08

Re: Want to do an HSG/HyCoSy even though not trying

Post by dlm08 »

Hi there,

I just had my second ectopic, both were unplanned, and I am not currently trying to conceive but am planning to in about 2 years. I had the same question for my doctor, and she also did not want to do this testing.

She told me that the reason was the test would only show if my tubes LOOK healthy, and she already knows they do since I was treated surgically for my first ectopic. She said the test does not tell you if you tubes function normally, they only way to know that is to try to conceive.

I also don't understand really why its recommended against if you want it, but just wanted to share my doctor's reasoning for not giving me one.

Dana