By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Bleeding that starts/stops on methotrexate?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
bedofstars

Bleeding that starts/stops on methotrexate?

Post by bedofstars »

Hi, I’m really glad I found this website. I found out last Friday that I had a cornual ectopic pregnancy. Because it was early (5 weeks) my doctors decided to treat with methotrexate. I had one injection that day and then a second this last Monday. By Wednesday my hcg had gone from 265 to 115 so they said I wouldn’t need anymore shots for now.

The whole time I had a fair amount of bleeding, but it decreased a few days after my first injection, then went up with the second, but went down again until Wednesday night and most of Thursday when I had almost none. But then tonight (Thursday night) I started getting more cramping in the middle of my abdomen (kind of like regular period cramps) and having bleeding again that was a lighter red color (enough that I would normally wear a light tampon).

Is this normal to have the bleeding nearly stop for a day and then come back? Just feeling so worried with this, especially since they told me a cornual ectopic is especially dangerous. I’m supposed to go back to work Friday but now I’m terrified :/

EPT Host 22

Re: Bleeding that starts/stops on methotrexate?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi BedofStars,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this worrying time, and suffering an ectopic pregnancy and loss. I also had a cornual ectopic pregnancy. It's good they diagnosed it early, and that the methotrexate is decreasing your hcg levels. While I can provide some general guidance, I'm not medically qualified to respond to specific questions. I would encourage you to also follow up with your doctors for a blood test to ensure your hcg continues to decrease.

I do not want to add additional worry, but while you are not yet at non-pregnant hcg levels (below 5ml/UL) it's important to continue monitoring your symptoms. You may find that bleeding changes as the pregnancy is shed from the uterus. However, any new pain, especially radiating to the shoulder tip, or heavy bleeding should be treated seriously and you should be seen at A&E for these pains.

The most important thing to do right now is to look after yourself. You may find that asking for an additional extension off of work gives you a bit more peace of mind. Your GP or doctors may be able to provide you with any notes you need.

We will continue to be here for you for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation, fundraising, or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************

julia2

Post by julia2 »

Hi and sorry to hear about your experience, this truly sucks and i feel like the symptoms (bleeding and pain) just continue... My ep was in the left tube and was treated with methotrexate twice, the hcg continued increasing after the first one and the second was given when it was >3000. The bleeding and pains started several days after the injection (as is usual i was told) and varied in color and consistency like yours over the days. After the second injection the pain and bleeding was at its worst on the fifth day and i was seriously thinking can it be normal even though i was warned that they can be pretty bad. Anyways, at least my N=1 sample indicates that there’s all sorts of bleeding and sensations involved with this... however please see a doctor or call the a&e if you are doubting that something isn’t right.

Sazzles

Post by Sazzles »

I was just about to write a similar post. I had methotrexate on 1st October. I only needed the one injection. Started bleeding on day 4. This last Tuesday my levels were down to 22 and the bleeding and cramping has started again! I did read that bleeding can go on for a while? I am hoping to be discharged on tuesday next week, but will definitely be asking the question as I have been bleeding on and off (lightly) for 7 days now after the big bleed on days 4-9.

Hope you are ok x

bedofstars

Post by bedofstars »

Thanks so much everyone! Just hearing that others have had similar experiences make me feel a bit better (even though I know things can still go wrong....so awful with this). My pain and bleeding has been very on and off, like sounds common, but I’ll have another hcg blood drawn tomorrow morning, so hopefully that gives me more (hopefully good) information. I ended up staying home from work on Friday, which I think was a good decision, so we’ll see how getting back to work goes tomorrow, too. This is all just so nerve wracking and it seems like it just doesn’t end until hcg is actually 0 :/