By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Confused after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Beckett 6776

Confused after methotrexate

Post by Beckett 6776 »

Hi, I had the methotrexate injection last Week (30th October) went back and my levels have dropped to 15 by Wednesday this week, they want me in next week for more bloods. However out of morbid curiosity I took a pregnancy test, 20ml sensitivity and it's darker than I've had throughout this whole 3 week ordeal?!
Am I within my rights to ask them to do bloods sooner than Wednesday to out my mind at ease? This is so difficult already, 9 blood tests, 2 scans and 3 weeks

EPT Host 22

Re: Confused after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Beckett6776,

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this worrying time and suffering an ectopic pregnancy and loss. I will do my best to answer your questions.

Medical management requires careful monitoring and follow-up to make sure that your beta hCG hormone levels are decreasing. This can take several weeks and will be explained by your doctor. Your hospital will make arrangements for you to have the hormone level checked.

Your doctor will usually test your hCG levels on the day the Methotrexate is given, again on day 4, and on day 7 after the injections. The hCG level often rises on day 4 but your doctors are looking to see a drop in your hCG value of at least 15% between days 4 and 7. Most women only need one injection but, if there has not been a 15% drop, doctors will consider a second dose of Methotrexate or surgery. Every 3-7 days, beta hCG levels will continue to be monitored to ensure that they are continuing to fall appropriately.

A few days after the injection, it is usual to begin to bleed and this can last between a few days and up to 6 weeks. It is usual to have some discomfort and pain initially. However, if the pain persists, or is not helped by taking paracetamol, or you feel faint, you will need to go to the hospital immediately, as this may be a sign that the Fallopian tube has ruptured.

I know how worrying this entire situation can be and the most important thing is to look after yourself. These boards are also a safe space for you, and we will be here for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team