By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Normal bleeding? Expectant management

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Lisa05

Normal bleeding? Expectant management

Post by Lisa05 »

Hi there everyone,

I have been finding this site and Miscarriage UK extremely helpful in dealing with life at present. And want to thank you all.

Without going into too much detail, I am hoping someone can help who has been through a similar situation.

I am being 'expectantly managed' (over the past 4 weeks). Possibly PUL or ectopic pregnancy. Serum HCG levels started increasing normally then slowed right down to a non viable pregnancy. Serum HCG suddenly started rising again, but still at an abnormal level. Blood work on Friday showed my first ever decrease. Consultant was happy to continue to 'wait and see'.
I initially had a large bleed early on, and have had countless vaginal ultrasounds. My womb is completely empty and lining non existant. Initially I was only spotting on and off. But now, over the past 3 days I have passed thick, dark brown(almost Black) and at times stringy clots. My understanding is that this is old blood(I guess as expected, if been sitting in/near my fallopian tubes. However, in between this I sometimes pass rather 'frank/fresh blood'. Is this normal? How much bleeding should be expected? I still have sharp stabbing pains on one side(my epu know this) and I have neck/arm ache but this is a normal symptom for me when stressed or upset.
To be honest, I do not feel as though my EPU Nursing team are very approachable. I will probably give them a call tomorrow when they open.
Can anyone help?

EPT Host 20

Re: Normal bleeding? Expectant management

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Lisa05,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss,
Apologies if this is a little difficult to read. The first bleed that occurs after treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period. It is the body's response to falling hormone levels because you are sadly no longer pregnant. The body expels the lining of the uterus that had built up in preparation for the pregnancy because it is no longer needed. This process involves vaginal bleeding - it can be clotty or like one of your usual periods and some women have bleeding/spotting for up to six weeks.
While this is usually nothing to worry about, if you find that the bleeding increases so that you are soaking more than a pad in an hour or have offensive smelling discharge or body temperature of more than 37°C, or worsening abdominal pain, please do get medical attention.

I am sorry to hear the staff at your EPU are not very approachable, but I would keep discussing your symptoms with them.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team