By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Angular pregnancy?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
KaySmith

Angular pregnancy?

Post by KaySmith »

I was first diagnosed with ectopic, and was given 2 shots of methotrexate at different times. My HCG reluctantly went down and is really low now. But on a recent ultrasound they discovered the pregnancy had grown despite my numbers and seems to be a viable angular pregnancy?! I’m waiting for more tests but I’m honestly really confused and need some advice or guidance

EPT Host 20

Re: Angular pregnancy?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear KaySmith,
I am so sorry that you are going through this confusing time. Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice but I have found a few research papers on angular pregnancy and this has formed the basis for the information provided.

Despite being described over a century ago, angular pregnancy remains an obscure entity, with <100 cases reported in the literature, and is perceived to be rare. An angular pregnancy is an eccentric intrauterine pregnancy with implantation of the embryo in the lateral superior angle of the uterine cavity. Differentiating interstitial (pregnancies outside of the uterine cavity) from angular pregnancies has proven difficult despite advances of 3D sonography and MRI and only 32 instances expectant management to viability resulting in a liveborn fetus have been reported in the literature

While angular pregnancies should be considered a potentially viable intrauterine pregnancy, there is a significantly increased risk of uterine rupture when expectant management is chosen. Spontaneous uterine rupture has been reported as early as the 10th gestational week, and resultant catastrophic hemorrhage incurs a 5% maternal mortality rate. In patients electing termination of these high-risk pregnancies, most undergo successful trans-cervical terminations including suction D&C, direct hysteroscopic resection (with and without concomitant endoscopic control), or hysteroscopic injection of methotrexate (MTX) followed by delayed hysteroscopic resection 48 h later.

I would advise having an in-depth discussion with your medical team to find out more about plans for your management, especially as you have had two doses of methotrexate and I am not sure of the effect of this on any fetus.

The research papers I have found are
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=47.5000
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5558297/

I am sorry if this hasn't been too helpful but being so rare, I would take advice from your medical team.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here:
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

phd2020

Re: Angular pregnancy?

Post by phd2020 »

Link removed per Trust policy