By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Has anyone struggled going back to work after ectopic?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
AstelSeptember

Has anyone struggled going back to work after ectopic?

Post by AstelSeptember »

At the end of September my first pregnancy was confirmed ectopic and following surgery I lost the baby (7 weeks) and my right tube.

It has been a rollercoaster since, being readmitted several times due to ongoing pain.

In total I had 8 weeks off work, mainly due to physical recovery. I have been back at work 3 weeks but I’m really struggling. I work in the hospital where I had my surgery and I have bumped into my surgeon in meetings/the shop more than once.

Has anyone else struggled returning to work emotionally? Any advice?

Thank you x

EPT Host 20

Re: Has anyone struggled going back to work after ectopic?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear AstelSeptember,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view, however this is an average and some will need longer.
Are there any options to review your role, might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?

In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Dima

Re: Has anyone struggled going back to work after ectopic?

Post by Dima »

Hello there,

I am nervous about going back to work it’s been officially 6 weeks/3days for me and I have a follow up with my surgeon on Thursday this week. I am hoping that I get the green light to resume regular duties. Some days I feel fine other days I have slight pain/discomfort that worries me. I have driven and visited my mother a few times in the last 3 weeks just to get my body moving but I am hoping this hasn’t effected my healing process.

I recommend listening to your body and taking it easy (something that was difficult for me at first as I live a go go go lifestyle with work and school) but it is necessary. If work is causing pain I suggest taking more time off.

Dima