By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Advice & experiences after Methotrexate treatnent

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.

Advice & experiences after Methotrexate treatnent

Post by 19457 »

Hi all,
I have recently had an ectopic pregnancy, I was 7 weeks 2 days when I had the methotrexate injection. I was lucky that I caught it, after having an early scan and blood tests when I had been spotting for a week with tenderness and a dull pain.
It is now 3 weeks after the injection, and it has worked well with my hcg levels reducing from an initial 3900 to 36 today so I am hoping that they fall to below 10 next week and then to be discharged.
I am wondering whether anyone has had any follow up tests or scans after being discharged? The hospital have said that they don't do a following scan to check that the tube is clear, or for anything else. I am wondering whether it is worthwhile getting any private tests done to put my mind at ease in preparation for trying again. I am concerned that my tube may be damaged after the treatment, or blocked.
I just wondered whether anyone else had done anything? I can scared of it happening again next time, especially if the same tube is used.
Is there are also any success stories after a 1st ectopic pregnancy, it would also be great to hear these.
Many thanks

NinjaPenguin

Re: Advice & experiences after Methotrexate treatnent

Post by NinjaPenguin »

Hi there,

Just sending some support. I was treated with methotrexate and now we're thinking of trying again and I'm having exactly the same worries. Sorry I can't be of much help but wanted you to know you're not alone.

Post by 19457 »

Hi, thank you for your message, I've been reading lots of the messages on here and having a realtime reply knowing someone else is having the same thoughts at the same time is comforting during a fairly lonely time. Have you had your 3 month wait after being treated? I am looking forward to being discharged so I can focus on the next stage of taking folic for 3 months and getting my body back to normal before trying again. At the same time it's daunting and a rollercoaster emotionally, trying to be as positive as possible but it's also a scary thought, as much as I do want to try again as soon as possible. Sending you love and thoughts during this difficult time x

NinjaPenguin

Post by NinjaPenguin »

Hiya,

I know what you mean, it feels more real when it's someone replying to your actual messages if that makes sense.

Mine was actually in july and I was discharged 30th august so I've technically waited long enough. After I was discharged we decided to go to the Caribbean for our 1 year wedding anniversary in December so we have to wait until the end of march because of Zika. I also went on the combined pill and I've just come off that so want to give my body some time to normalise.

I'm not sure when we'll try again, I'm also in the middle of a PhD so I need to make sure I could cope with another ectopic without ruining my PhD if it happens again.

How are you feeling? The methotrexate made me feel awful, I felt sick for days and the tiredness lasted weeks but it goes away I promise. I found that once I was discharged it all hit me all over again so just remember to be kind to yourself, theres no correct time to be over what's happened. It just gets easier and comes in waves. I've had therapy and would thoroughly recommend if its something that is an option for you.

Always here, I check the site pretty regularly, if you want to talk to someone xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear 19457,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
In the UK, women aren't routinely scanned or offered additional investigations before ttc again.
Following methotraxate injections, we and many healthcare professionals recommend to wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL, and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This time generally also allows time for any mass to be naturally reabsorbed.
It is generally possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy. The time it takes to conceive successfully after an ectopic pregnancy varies considerably from couple to couple. This can be affected by factors including age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have intercourse (sex). Overall, 65% of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of an ectopic pregnancy. Some studies suggest this figure rises to around 85% over two years.
Sadly, it is not possible to stop an ectopic pregnancy from happening but importantly, help is available with future pregnancies with an early scan at around six weeks gestation to check that the embryo is in the right place. We are here too for emotional support, as and when you need us. We also have a specific board, Preparing for your next Pregnancy which you can look at as and when you feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team