By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

1st Pregnancy & Ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mags1234

1st Pregnancy & Ectopic

Post by Mags1234 »

At 6weeks I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy and had my left Fallopian tube removed. I’m only 2 weeks post surgery. I am really struggling to understand as to why this has happened. I do not have any risk factors that are generally associated with ectopic pregnancies, so finding it difficult to come to terms and very scared for the future. Is there anyone else who had an ectopic pregnancy who didn’t have the usual risk factors and if so following surgery did you ever find out what actually caused ectopic?

Soph22

Re: 1st Pregnancy & Ectopic

Post by Soph22 »

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I too had an ectopic and tube removal November 2019. I had no risk factors either. I met with my surgeon to ask some questions after the surgery and she basically said I’m just one of the unlucky ones which really wasn’t nice to hear as a real reason would give me the ability to move on quicker. Think it’s around 1 in 100 of pregnancies are ectopic and 1 in 5 end in miscarriage, I may be wrong but I think I saw those numbers somewhere on the internet so a lot more common than anyone really thinks. I’m taking it as God saying it’s not the right time for me as original plan was wedding first, then we changed our mind after loosing a family member. When the times right, it’ll happen. Best of luck for the future x

EPT Host 20

Re: 1st Pregnancy & Ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mags1234,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I too have experienced ectopic pregnancy and had no risk factors either. Sadly for many of us, although we search for answers as to why this has happened, we often never find the answers and I can truly understand how worrying and upsetting this is. I did however go on to have 2 further successful pregnancies, so I hope this brings some comfort to you.

The chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for Your Next Pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team