By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Soph22

Surgery

Post by Soph22 »

I had my right tube removed in Nov 2019. I’ve seen on some posts that they removed their ovary during surgery too. Is this the case with all ectopic surgeries? I don’t remember my surgeon mentioning this to me but then again she didn’t really mention a lot so is it possible they took mine too and didn’t tell me?

B67 B67

Re: Surgery

Post by B67 B67 »

Hi Soph22
My daughter had an ectopic pregnancy in July 2019. On her discharge letter from the hospital it stated that she had had her right tube and ovary removed. She queried this with the hospital as she was not told anything about her ovary being removed. She was not actually told much at all other than she could suffer with another ectopic. It took a few months to get an answer, but turns out a junior doctor wrote her discharge letter and she had not had her ovary removed at all. The hospital sent her a letter of apology. Our understanding was that an ovary would only be removed if it was damaged by the ectopic pregnancy. If you have paperwork from the hospital, take a look to see what is says. We ended up applying for all our daughters medical records and finding out exactly what the surgery entailed. Best wishes xx

EPT Host 20

Re: Surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Soph22,
It is not common practice to remove the ovary when removing the tube for treatment for ectopic pregnancy.
If you are concerned and you are in the UK, you can ask your GP for a copy of your discharge letter following your surgery or you can speak to the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) in the hospital where you were treated who will be able look at your medical notes and provide you with the information.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team