By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic or not? In a state of limbo

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Ellenotl

Ectopic or not? In a state of limbo

Post by Ellenotl »

I found out I was pregnant last week approx 5 weeks. I had a scan on Thursday and they couldn’t see any obvious signs of a pregnancy. They said they saw what looked like a cyst on my left ovary but couldn’t be certain. They took my HCG levels at 4100. I had these repeated today and they came back at 6200, with only a 49% increase.

I am in such a state as I am not getting any answers. I understand ectopic is hard to diagnosis and can take time. I’m due to go on holiday with my family on Friday and I’m worried about telling them the big possibility that I can’t go.

I’m in such a state at the minute and don’t know what to think: I have to to back Monday for repeat bloods.

Anyone else been through similar with good and bad outcomes? I just feel so lonely and lost at the minute, and so anxious with all the waiting around.

Thanks x

Kay39

Re: Ectopic or not? In a state of limbo

Post by Kay39 »

Dear Ellinotl
I hope you’re doing well, and that everything will work out the best for you.
But from the symptoms and tests you have undergone I am afraid it seems like you have an ectopic pregnancy.
If I were you I would make sure to check everything for sure before going ahead with the plans, as you must take the risks of ectopic pregnancy very seriously as they might be life threatening.
I wish you best of luck and please look after yourself as i am sure your health is more important that anything in the world.
I am sure you’re family will understand and support your decision
Xx

Carlene1987

Post by Carlene1987 »

Hi, I'm sorry to be reading what you're going through. I had exactly the same experience. Went for a scan at 5 weeks and they couldn't see anything, hcg levels doubled over 48 hours so had another scan a few days after that. It was during that second scan where they confirmed the ectopic pregnancy. At this point, I wasnt allowed home until I had more bloods done and a course of action made. If it is ectopic you should prepare yourself for the same as it could rupture at any point. Mine did begin to rupture while in hospital. Thank god I was there as they could deal with it quickly. I hope it works out better for you than it did me. Xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Ellenotl,
I am so sorry to hear of the worrying time you are going through,
If scans are inconclusive, doctors would carry out a series of blood tests to check hCG levels to see if the numbers are rising as expected. However, in isolation, hCG tests only provide a part of the picture - declining levels indicate that a pregnancy has ended and will be miscarried. It can also possibly indicate an ectopic pregnancy that is "self-resolving". Also hCG levels rising by less than 66% over 48 hours means it is likely (but not certain) that it is ectopic. If levels rise normally, they suggest the pregnancy is implanted in the uterus. You may see from this that hCG levels only indicate certain possibilities and are not in themselves a definitive guide. A positive identification of an implanted embryo on a scan is usually needed before a final diagnosis/certainty that the pregnancy has implanted in the uterus. This is possibly the reason why your doctors are waiting until your appointment to carry out scans and tests.

If a positive identification of an embryo in the uterus is not made, I am sorry but I would advise that you cancel your travel plans. If you are sadly experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, treatment will include surgery or methotrexate injection or expectant management. Surgery obviously requires recovery time and methotrexate and expectant management both require regular blood test follow up.

I will of course keep everything crossed for a positive outcome but we are here for you if needed.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team