By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Exercise after ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Laurenelsa1

Exercise after ectopic

Post by Laurenelsa1 »

I'm now 4 weeks post op. I'm returning to work next week and starting to think about bringing normality back to my life. I think it will help me emotionally to get routine back.

Any advice on getting back into exercise? I usually do a cardio class 3-4 times a week (which I can lower intensity myself and skip sections like lower abs) ??

What did you do?

Smay88

Re: Exercise after ectopic

Post by Smay88 »

Hey! I had an op in November. I was advised not to do any strenuous exercise for 6 weeks post op. I have since found out I can't even have a deep tissue massage till February so I think it is best to take it easy.

I was used to running 3/4 times a week before my ectopic. Since November I haven't been running but have started back at yoga & have started taking part in the Ectopic Trust 1000km challenge.

I have started by walking every evening. At first I found it exhausting which disheartened me as at one point I could run 40km a week. But gradually I am getting my stamina up and beginning to feel ready to run again.

I had added stress of various sinus infections & colds following my operation which I think have dampened my progress to "normal".

EPT Host 20

Re: Exercise after ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Laurenelsa1,
I am sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss and will do my best to help. While I appreciate that feeling of wanting to "get back to normal", you have done exactly the right thing in asking about exercise at such a delicate time. With experiencing an ectopic pregnancy, your body is going through a challenging ordeal and it is important to take things easily during your treatment.
Following surgery, please allow time for your body to heal internally after the invasive procedure. If you had keyhole surgery, you could start gentle exercise within two weeks of the operation. If you had open surgery then you should wait six weeks for your abdomen to heal.
When resuming exercise, activities like gentle walking or swimming are usually safe as long as the wounds are healing or your hCG levels are low, as these are non-impact sports.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team