By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ovulation pain?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Carlene1987

Ovulation pain?

Post by Carlene1987 »

Hi,
This is my first time posting, although I have commented on a couple of posts. I'm 3 weeks post op from having my right tube removed after an ectopic pregnancy which started bleeding at 6 weeks and 3 days. Over the weekend I started to experience a dull ache and the occasional sharp wave of pain where my right ovary is. I've researched it and it sounds very much like ovulation pain. It's got me wondering all sorts of questions so thought I'd ask for others' experiences. I have questions such as:
Will I only have ovulation pain on my right side or will I now experience it on my left too?
If it is ovulation pain, when will I ovulate on my left side as my ectopic was my right side and this (if it is ovulation) is also my right side.
I'm all kinds of emotions relating to this and have found reading posts help so am hoping others can help me with my own post.

Thanks,
Carlene

LoveandHope88

Re: Ovulation pain?

Post by LoveandHope88 »

Hi Carlene

I am 6 weeks post op (had my right tube removed following ectopic pregnancy at 6 weeks) - I had ovulation pain/dull ache on my left side (which I have never experienced before) 2 weeks after the op. I then had my first period 4 weeks after the op. Two weeks after the period I too have experienced ovulation pain/including a wave of occasional sharp pain on my right side (even though my right tube has been removed) my understanding from health care professionals is that I will still ovulate from both ovaries and that there is a chance that an egg from my right ovary can travel too and down my left tube.
I’m waiting to see if I experience pain when ovulating from my left ovary again or if this was a ‘one off’ following my op. Our bodies (and minds) have been through a lot so I’ve been told that discomfort at this stage during recovery is normal and to be expected. In a strange way I find the dull ache and pain comforting because at least I can feel and know that I’m ovulating! There are other signs of ovulation too such a ‘egg white discharge’.
Hope the above has been useful and I wish you all the best with your Recovery.

Sophie xx

Carlene1987

Post by Carlene1987 »

It is really helpful thank you. I'm also showing white discharge which I always get after ovulation which is how I know this pain must have been that. You're right about it being comforting although because it's my right side, I worry about when I'll ovulate on my left side. I know it's silly as need at least 3 cycles before we can try again but knowing my fertility wont be the same is hard to get my head around. It's just so hard to deal with all the added extras of what weve been through. X

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Carlene1987,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Experiencing some pain after an ectopic pregnancy is normal as your body has been through a great deal over the last few months. The pain may be due to adhesions (scar tissue that binds two parts of the body together) which form and take some time to settle. Your body may be preparing to ovulate and many women experience ovulation pain when they did not before their ectopic pregnancy - including myself. I experienced ovulation pain on the side of me ectopic pregnancy every month regardless of which side I ovulated from. You also may have a heightened perception because of the sad loss that you have had to go through.

If the pain persists, I suggest keeping a pain diary noting when the pain appears, the intensity on a scale of 0-10 and anything that helps the pain eg resting, hot water bottle, paracetamol etc. Visiting your doctors with this information helps them to assess how best to manage your symptoms.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team