By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Experiences with HSG?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
mariahbee

Experiences with HSG?

Post by mariahbee »

Has anyone had an HSG (Hysterosalpingography) after an ectopic? My doctor has recommend one to get a better view of the insides of my tubes and uterus, and ensure there are no blockages, etc. but something about the whole procedure screams "no" to me. Maybe because I am only 4 weeks post-op and the idea of having anything else messing with my insides is really off-putting? Just wondering if anyone has had this done before and what your experience with it was... good, bad, helpful, scary? I have to call and book in the procedure soon, if I want it, but would like to get some advice before I go ahead with it!

Thanks!

EPT Host 20

Re: Experiences with HSG?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear mariahbee,
In the UK, doctors usually suggest a period of trying to conceive before suggesting any tests or investigations. The EPT advises that women under 35 should seek medical advice following 12 months trying to conceive (and those over 35 should seek advice after 6 months). This is because doctors would not want to introduce the risk of infection through invasive tests

We have further advice on investigations on our website here
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/trying-to-conceive/

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Bankhead11

Re: Experiences with HSG?

Post by Bankhead11 »

I had this done a couple of months after surgery for an ectopic where I lost one tube. I was a bit apprehensive, but I thought I might be trying to conceive again for months and months, when if I had the test I'd at least know if my other tube was open straight away. Fortunately, it was open, so that set my mind at rest a bit - although it's no guarantee there won't be another ectopic. Some people say you're more likely to conceive after having the HSG - and the nurse even said that to me. It was uncomfortable and a bit painful but only for a minute or two. Overall for me I think it was worth it. I think the risk of infection is very low, but understand if you don't want further medical messing down there! Good luck whatever you decide. x