By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First ectopic experience

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Deanna

First ectopic experience

Post by Deanna »

Hi ladies.

I had a right salpingectomy just over a week ago and am recovering well. I am however experiencing sudden bouts of tears that will crop up out of the blue. I gather that this is normal and is my body's way of processing grief. I just would like to hear of others experience with an ectopic and how they coped. My experience was extremely quick, found out I was pregnant on a friday and by friday evening was admitted into hospital with bleeding and pain and by Saturday afternoon I had had surgery to remove it. I felt like I haven't had time to really process what happened. Also how long did many of you wait till you tried again? My husband and I were actively trying but now I feel a bit scared to try again incase this happens a second time.

hols94

Re: First ectopic experience

Post by hols94 »

Hi Deanna,

I’m glad to hear that you are starting to recover physically. Some of your story echoes mine, I am now 6 weeks post operation after having my left fallopian tube removed. There was a period of 4 days between finding out I was pregnant and then being told it was not a viable pregnancy, with a further week before ectopic was diagnosed. Like you, my partner and I had been actively trying so the loss felt even more devastating with not much time to process what had happened.

I really struggled around week 3/4 with my emotions which was when I started to physically feel better. I tried to keep myself busy by listening to funny podcasts, doing some colouring, reading books and watching TV. I did struggle with the TV for a while as everything I seemed to watch had some connotation to pregnancy, abortion or miscarriage. I found switching between different activities every hour or so helped to keep my mind busy. When I felt well enough, I tasked myself with getting out of the house every day - at first this was just a short walk to the end of my road and back but I found getting some fresh air really helped. I am due to return to work this week and finally feel in a strong enough place to return back to some routine.

I have found myself really anxious now about my future fertility and trying again as I am terrified of having another ectopic in my remaining tube. They recommend that you wait for two periods before trying again, although I think that I need to give myself longer so that I am fully ready emotionally. I have found that talking really helps and am hoping to soon access some counselling with the support of my employer which I think will help.

Sorry for your loss and hope you start to feel better soon.

Holly xxx

Deanna

Re: First ectopic experience

Post by Deanna »

Hi Holly.

Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry for your loss and also glad to hear you're recovery is going well! Its comforting to hear someone else's story. Although my husband and friends and family have been incredible throughout, I feel very isolated in my feelings and emotions because they can't quite understand how I'm feeling. I'm very anxious to try again because I'm also terrified of it happening again but also that if it does it leave my fertility in such an unknown place. What kind of surgery did you have? I had keyhole so found my physical recovery is very quick. It's my emotion and mental recovery that I think is starting to hold me back. I will try out some activities you suggested although like you said I've avoided the tv because of the constant baby adverts etc. I know it's not an increase in seeing these I just obviously wasn't sensitive to them at that time.
I hope your first day back to work isn't too much for you and you continue to heal both physically and mentally.
Many thanks xx