By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recovering from the trauma/ going back to work

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Rachel_B88

Recovering from the trauma/ going back to work

Post by Rachel_B88 »

Hi there,

Firstly, I want to thank you for all the women on here who have had the courage to say how they feel and share their experiences. I came across this site last week, 2 x weeks post operation and the first time I felt able to explore what help is out there.

It will be 3 x weeks tomorrow since my operation, I found out I was pregnant, had lost the baby that had now ruptured in my left fallopian tube and was requiring emergency surgery from bleeding out internally. To be honest, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. The pain started at 7am and by 8.30am I was being operated on. At the moment, it's the trauma of the experience leading up to the operation that haunts me the most. From the physical pain to the horrible thoughts of feeling like I was going to die during our journey in the car there. I also kept feeling so guilty about my little sister having to witness it all as well. My family and partner have been a huge support but I'm going to speak with my doctor this week as I don't think I can emotionally conquer this on my own.

With regards to work, when is the right time is to go back into the office full time? I've been doing bits of work remotely throughout my time off but am thinking of going into work for 1 x morning this week. As soon as my family arrived to see me, my first sentence was about work whilst I was still dozing in/ out of consciousness but I'm feeling really guilty about not contributing enough and finding it hard to allow myself to fully rest. I know I have to in the long run to recover and heal but I just feel frustrated with myself and this situation.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Rx

Carlene1987

Re: Recovering from the trauma/ going back to work

Post by Carlene1987 »

Hi lovely,
I'm sorry to be reading your awful experience. Im 7 weeks post op and have only just gone back to work. I was signed off originally for 3 weeks but upon my return to work meeting I soon realised I wasnt ready. The closer it got to my first day back the more anxious I felt. I'm a teacher so the guilt was huge as i was responsible for secondary school students sitting their GCSEs. I'm on a phased return and it's really helping me. My advice would be not to go back too soon. Although my work place has been hugely supportive, it was hard on them having me say I'll be back on the 10th feb and then getting signed off for a further 3 weeks. Allow yourself the time to deal with the operation and baby loss.

Hope this helps and good luck xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear R,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.
A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything else that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?
Many women experience pain after surgery and this can be the case weeks or months after the trauma. Pain is the body's sign to rest and it is important to be guided by this and taking it easier if you experience discomfort.
In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition and undergoing major surgery. Please speak to your GP about having further time off work if required.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Leahsmith

Post by Leahsmith »

Hi,

Sending you lots of strength.

I'm not 6 and a bit weeks post op and I only returned to work on Monday. My work are amazing and I have gone back part time for the first week (only mornings) and I will review it at the end of the week to see how I feel about the next week. I am absolutely shattered and it's only Wednesday!

Don't rush yourself back x