By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain and bleeding after Methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Rquayle32

Pain and bleeding after Methotrexate

Post by Rquayle32 »

I had the methotrexate shot March 4 for an ectopic pregnancy. The first few days I felt extremely tired and had mild cramping and bleeding. The bleeding lasted for a few weeks and then stopped for a week. I was beginning to feel like myself again, had energy and felt like I was making progress. I began exercising again just yoga and bike rides.

Now, April 1st I have again began to bleed 2 days ago and have stomach pain and bloating. I called my doctor and she thought I just over did it and need to lay low. Has anyone else experienced prolonged pain and bleeding so long after receiving the shot? It feels like there is no end.

EPT Host 22

Re: Pain and bleeding after Methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Rquayle32,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss. Your treatment is still very recent, and it is incredibly important to look after yourself and allow time for yourself to heal both physically and emotionally.

It is very normal to bleed after treatment for ectopic pregnancy. The bleed that occurs in the first week or so of treatment for an ectopic pregnancy is not your first period. It is the bleed that occurs in response to falling hormones associated with the lost pregnancy. Some women find that bleeding and spotting after treatment for ectopic pregnancy can last up to six weeks.

Many women experience changes to their menstrual cycles after an ectopic pregnancy and it can take some time to settle back into a rhythm that is more usual for you. Periods can be heavier or lighter or more painful than before - as we are so individual there isn't necessarily a set pattern. Doctors consider menstrual cycles of between 23-42 days to be within normal parameters and, if you find that you are not within these sorts of timeframes, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctors just to be on the safe side.

It is good you followed up with your GP, and I recommend keep a list of questions and symptoms to share if your concerns continue. I also had some start/stop bleeding with my ectopics, but as everyone is very different it's important to obtain medical advice.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

JC79

Post by JC79 »

Hi Rquayle32,

I’m also 4 weeks post mtx shotnamd just started bleeding heavily. I’ve been bleeding off and on for the entire month since the shot. Brown to heavy red to brown to nothing and back to heavy red. A little over a week ago my hcg was 46. I had my blood drawn again yesterday and hope to hear back today.

Is your bleeding heavy? Mine is very heavy, which worries me, but I wonder if it’s normal.

Rquayle32

Post by Rquayle32 »

JC79

Thank you for your response! It sounds like our timing of the shot and our HCG levels are very similar. Last week I was at 43 and just had another blood draw today. I found my bleeding is at the heaviest when I’m most active. The more I move the heavier it seems to be. For example yesterday I did not do much, laid around the house and relaxed. My bleeding turned into mostly brown spotting. Today I went for a long walk outside and within an hour of my walk the bleeding as turned bright red and a much heavier flow. I asked my doctor about this and the amount of discomfort. His response was this is my bodies way of telling me I’m over doing it.

I hope your next results show your levels have dropped even more! I have found it draining to be going to give blood draws every week. Best wishes to you that this will be one of your last ones.