By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pains in Chest 4 days after surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Hope2457

Pains in Chest 4 days after surgery

Post by Hope2457 »

Hello,
I was rushed into hospital for emergency surgery to remove ectopic pregnancy and tube for 9 weeks of gestation on Tuesday.
I got home and was fine (as fine as can be I guess) but last night I’ve been experiencing full chest pains going into my left back and shoulder. They come and go and aren’t really severe but I’m sor worried but due to the covid 19 I’m also terrified to go to hospital too :(

EPT Host 20

Re: Pains in Chest 4 days after surgery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Hope2457,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
After an operation, people often get aches and pains in places they did not expect to, such as the back, neck, hips and legs can all be very sore. The staff in the operating theatre take great care of you when you are asleep and try to move you into the positions they need you to be in very gently. However, because your muscles are very relaxed as a result of the anaesthetic, sometimes muscles can ache for several days after your surgery. Also a small amount of gas is put into your abdominal cavity to inflate it to enable the surgeon to see inside the abdomen, this an occasionally cause your shoulders to ache.
Take it easy, take the pain relief you were given in hospital and your aches should resolve over a few days. Having said this, I am not medically trained and there can be other, more serious causes of chest pain after surgery. I would advise speaking to your GP. However if the pain worsens or you develop any shortness of breath or breathing difficulties I would advise seeking urgent medical advice by calling 999 or attending your local A&E.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team