By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Coronavirus and ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Fertility-tales

Coronavirus and ectopic pregnancy

Post by Fertility-tales »

Is anyone deciding whether to try to conceive during the pandemic? I’ve had two ectopic pregnancies, followed by our little miracle. We had originally planned to try and get pregnant again around now (my little boy is 14 months old) but we’re not sure whether to wait given the pressures on the NHS and the chance of catching covid given the million and one hospital appointments related to being high risk. My chance of a future pregnancy being ectopic is around 30-50%.

Also, does anyone have experience of whether they scan you in early pregnancy if you’re high risk ectopic with no symptoms? I heard they won’t during the pandemic?

Re: Coronavirus and ectopic pregnancy

Post by 19457 »

Hi Fertility-Tales,

I had an ectopic pregnancy (my first pregnancy) which was treated by methotrexate in December 2019. This month ends my 3 months from being discharged and taking folic acid daily, so I could try and conceive now. We have personally decided to wait for a month or 2 to see what happens, just so that if I were to have another ectopic I’d know I’d be able to get the care I need, and also be visiting hospital numerous times at a less pressurised point if we were at least if we were on the downward curve with Coronavirus. Each to their own of course, we just feel that we’d be more mentally ready for it not having that additional worry when trying again.

Sending lots of love, it’s so reassuring to hear of your miracle baby after 2 ectopics x

Post by 19457 »

Ps regarding the scan I think I read similar on here, you can have a private early scan, they are around £70 I believe x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear 19457,
I truly understand these worrying times.
As far as I am aware early pregnancy scanning for high risk pregnancies continues but I am not totally sure what local guidelines will be for your hospital.
The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists have information on TTC during this time and I have added the link here-
https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-r ... pregnancy/

The above documentation includes the question you have asked...

Q. Should I plan a pregnancy during the coronavirus pandemic?

A. Becoming pregnant during the coronavirus pandemic is a matter of personal choice.
The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare recommend that when considering a pregnancy, women and their partners consider the risks of coronavirus transmission associated with routine contacts with healthcare professionals during pregnancy, particularly if pregnancy complications may necessitate frequent hospital attendance.

I hope this helps,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
The latest EPT newsletter is out now! You can take a look at the Winter edition and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Kayjayleo

Post by Kayjayleo »

I have had two ectopics and found out I was pregnant 4weeks ago.., they gave me a early scan (internal) literally two days after my positive test x

Carlene1987

Post by Carlene1987 »

Hi all,
My husband and I had decided to TTC first chance we got after our ectopic. Then covid-19 happened. After lots of thought we decided to go for it as despite the wonderful successful stories on here, it could take longer (65% chance 18 months of trying I think). We have been trying and so far no luck (1 month of trying but have never struggled before). I am glad weve decided to try though as I wouldn't want to look back and regret not trying should it take us a long time TTC.

I would say that you've got to do what is best for you emotionally as that first month of TTC is awful during that 2 week wait especially when you're a little late. I found I drove myself crazy analysing little pains to the point I didnt believe the negative pregnancy tests.

Hope this helps.

Fertility-tales

Thanks all that’s really useful to hear your decisions around this.

I’m unsure what to do. I’m currently on my period and would like to ttc this month (although I have a coil fitted so no idea if I’d be able to get that removed, presumably not?) but I’d be nervous about potentially catching the virus with an ectopic as well, having to have blood tests every 48hrs etc. But this virus isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and it might take us ages to get pregnant anyway. I know it’ll be really scary during that two week wait each month, wondering whether I’m pregnant and it’s another ectopic, and I don’t want to add to that anxiety. But also I don’t want to regret it as I know our chance of another successful pregnancy isn’t high.

Robin_2019

Post by Robin_2019 »

Hi Fertility - tales,
Thanks for sharing your post. This has been something that has been playing on my mind too. It's always so nice to read about healthy pregnancies after ectopic, congratulations on your miracle baby.

I had my ectopic surgery in December 2019 and I've been really keen to start TTC again but I knew that I needed more time to grieve and accept what had happened.

I feel fed up of waiting and living in fear of this happening again. I really want to move forward and find out whether having children is possible for us. It's tricky because I also feel like I have one more chance to get it right.

Since we are on the other side of the peak with the virus now I feel ready to start trying again. It's a decision filled with emotion and everyone will be experiencing different levels of anxiety around it. Of course we don't want the put unnecessary strain on our NHS but equally we have to be positive and try to move forward with life. Perhaps a private early scan if we do manage to conceive is a good bet.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Keep safe,
Robin

D3nise36

Post by D3nise36 »

Hi 4 weeks ago I had a tube removed due to ectopic pregnancy I was 6 weeks I went to a and e and my husband was not allowed in i had a scan on my own and went to the ward on my own it was awful the doctors were fantastic and i couldnt have wished for better care it is very frightening but even though we are going through this covid nightmare these doctors work very hard .

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi
I also had surgery to remove ectopic & left tube 4 weeks ago.
I had to do it all on my own aswell as no1 allowed at hospital.
I no my hospital still has these rules but with more things being relaxed I’m sure this will aswell soon.
My hospital had moved the EPU unit because of COVID but because of that the nurses seemed even more attentive & caring.
I was treated 1st with methotrexate before hvin to have surgery & again had to do this alone, the nurse who gave it to me held my hand through it & wipes my tears with gloves on her hands. She stayed with me until I was ready to leave & basically took the place of my mother that day.

Fertility-tales

I’m so sorry to hear these stories of having to ouch ectopics alone, that must have been so scary. But the NHS is incredible and I’m so glad you had nurses or doctors there to support you both medically and emotionally.

We’ve decided to try again and see what happens. My period is due in a week and this part of my cycle is going to be terrifying each month as we wait to see if we conceived and if it’s ectopic.

Post by 19457 »

Hi Fertility-Tales,

We have decided to try again too now, this will be the first month. It feels good to have made the decision and not be in limbo anymore and onto the next part of our journey. Keep us in the loop and I will do the same too.

Good luck :)

X

Fertility-tales

Good luck to you too, that’s really exciting for you! How are you feeling about trying again?

My period is due in about five days. I’ve been having twinges on one side which I’m trying really hard not to analyse. It’s so hard, on the tiny chance that I am pregnant this cycle I keep thinking, well it would probably have implanted now, on the chance it’s ectopic should I be continuing to exercise as normal, lifting my son etc. But I can’t go on thinking like this every month I’ll go mad!

The things we go through to have a baby x

Post by 19457 »

I’m feeling anxious about it but less so than I was before being able to be proactive in trying again.. I’ve just had my first ovulation and therefore ‘try’ a handful of days ago so I need to wait for a few weeks to see. I have felt quite strong twinges, and aches on my right hand side the past few days which has made me feel a bit uneasy, I can’t help but imagine another ectopic with the pain but that area is just going to be sensitive I think, hard to know how much is in my head too! I know exactly what you mean about trying not to analyse, it is so hard not too. I also know what you mean about wondering whether on the off chance you are that it would’ve implanted and wondering whether to excercise etc, I feel the same. I think this first month trying is just going to be strange and difficult as it’s the first month but hopefully if I’m not pregnant then next month will be easier.
Glad you don’t have too long to wait to find out, keep me updated! X

Fertility-tales

Just to reassure you a bit, with my successful pregnancy I had awful pains on one side from about three to five weeks pregnant and I was so worried about it being a third ectopic. But it wasn’t, it was from the corpus luteum cyst from where I ovulated. Of course one sided pain when pregnant shouldn’t be ignored but it doesn’t always mean ectopic.

I’ve had four pregnancies: one miscarriage, two ectopics then finally our successful one. Two of them took nearly a year to conceive and the other two happened first month of trying so I just have no idea of how long to expect to get pregnant again. I definitely know what you mean about it feeling good to have made the decision to try again though, it’s scary but the waiting is worse in some ways

X

Post by 19457 »

I’m so sorry, you have really been through it! It’s really reassuring to hear that you had a successful pregnancy afterwards. It’s also good to know that you had the pains early on with your successful pregnancy. I called my local EPU to check if they were offering early scans and they said that they were, and when I am pregnant to call them and they will arrange a scan at 7 weeks. I feel like I might know the signs a bit more this time around, when I had my ectopic it was the first time I’d been pregnant and looking back there were a few things that probably weren’t right. I had spotting which is why I got checked out in the first place, but I was also really uncomfortable and had a few pains. Wishing you the best of luck! X

LittleP27

Post by LittleP27 »

Fertility tales it's so nice to hear a positive story after what you went through. I am sorry for asking but would you mind to shear how your ectopic pregnancies were treated? I am currently recovering after my second ectopic and I am loosing hope :( going into my third month after having injection and I am not near ready to try again, scared it will happened again, scared of going through this pain again, scared of loosing my last tube :( but your story is giving me hope :)

Fertility-tales

Hi

I’m so sorry to hear of your losses that’s devastating for you. Yes, I had two ectopics too. My left tube ruptured from an undiagnosed ectopic and the whole tube was removed. As it had taken such a long time to conceive we only waited six weeks to try again. I couldn’t believe it when I tested positive again two weeks later. We were completely devastated when it was ectopic again in my remaining tube. I had surgery again on New Years Eve 2017 but they managed to save the tube. Sadly I needed a follow up shot of methotrexate though because part of the ectopic was left behind.

We started trying again four months later and I was utterly terrified. Two ectopics in eight weeks was beyond horrific and I still randomly burst into tears when I think about it.

But again we got pregnant straight away (still can’t believe that). That pregnancy felt different from the start, and it was in the right place!! I had a textbook, very healthy pregnancy, labour and breastfeeding journey, and we’re utterly enchanted by our little boy. I know how lucky we are and in a way the horrible journey we went through to have him makes our son even more special.

I know it’s hard and terrifying to try again. It’s definitely worth waiting until you feel ready and your body is healed. But I don’t think it’ll ever not be scary to try again, and it is so totally and completely worth it.

I know I considered IVF as an alternative because the chance of ectopic for us was lower. We decided against it in the end but is that an option for you?

Sending you hugs and strength xxx

LittleP27

Post by LittleP27 »

Thank you so much for your reply. I also had my left tube removed with my first pregnancy and we found out I was pregnant 3 months after the surgery we were so happy that we manage to concive so quickly but the happiness didn't last long. They did manage to save my tube second time with injection, which gives me some hope. I was thinking about ivf, but I think I will have it if I was gonna lose my last tube, as I came across that there's still possibility of ep with ivf and I was thinking If I was gonna have my last tube removed my chances of ep be very low. I was told at hospital that they will refer me to infertility clinic but due to current situation they are not making any bookings, feeling hopeless. Did you have any treatment, tests done after your ep? Thank you so much for your time it's so nice to talk to someone who understands it, who had a healthy pregnancy after it really gives me some hope

Sanwars2206

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi Littlep27

I’ve had 2x ectopics, 1x tube removed & a miscarriage - no children & im 36.
I’ve also been referred to fertility clinic but with COVID on hold waiting for them to contact me.
Like you I’ve read ectopic is a risk with IVF & it’s petrified me.
I don’t no how much more I can take but I’m childless so also don’t see what choice I have.
I can’t even imagine TTC again or even going to the fertility appointments.
My 1st ectopic was treated with methotrexate (after trying on&off for 1yr), we TTC 4 months after, 6 months on I had a miscarriage, we TTC 2 months after that but took 8 months & it resulted in another ectopic but surgery to remove it.
Cycle watching, ovulating watching, timed sex, waiting, excitement & devastation I’ve been going through for just under 3yrs it’s hard & exhausting & I feel exhausted with it all. I hate ppl generally asking r u ok but it’s not their fault so i just autopilot answer ‘yes fine thanks’.
It’s great that you’re hopeful, let us know how you get on please, hoping something will spur me on at some time x