By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

First menstruation after ectopic surgery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Aby

First menstruation after ectopic surgery

Post by Aby »

Hello,
Thank you for this forum, it's been of help.
It's my 4th week post ectopic surgery. My menstruation started yesterday and it's quite heavy, I have also been feeling extremely sick with a bit of rise in temperature. I also have a bit of shoulder pain similar to what I felt when the ectopic pregnancy ruptured before the surgery. Please is there a need to be worried. I still find myself crying almost everyday for the lost pregnancy and I also lost my right tube.
I wish I didn't have to go through this much pain, but life continues.

Thanks

Abilouise

Re: First menstruation after ectopic surgery

Post by Abilouise »

Hiya

Have you been having sex since ?
I still get some shoulder pain and I had an ectopic in jan with loss of left tube , so think it’s probs just a bad period where you starting your cycle? if your worried take another test ? Xxx

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Aby,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss. Your treatment is still very recent, and it is incredibly important to look after yourself and allow time for yourself to heal both physically and emotionally. As you have a rise in temperature and are feeling unwell, it would be good to keep a diary of this and any other symptoms and speak to your doctors just to be on the safe side and for peace of mind.

There is no set timeline for recovery and each woman experiences it differently. It's so important to prioritize yourself right now and look after yourself. Some days will be easier, some harder. Over time, things start to feel a bit more normal. I found that journaling was a way for me to get my thoughts onto paper, helping me to make sense of my emotions and to share them with friends and family.

The Trust also believes that talking therapies can be of great help. You may want to speak to your GP for a referral and a look into counselling or to contact your local Mind centres. We can also arrange for you to speak to someone on our helpline at the number below. Many find it of comfort to speak to someone who has been through the same thing and we can support you alongside the counseling. You will also find more information for support on our website: http://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/emotional-impact/

It is very normal to bleed after treatment for ectopic pregnancy. The bleed that occurs in the first week or so of treatment for an ectopic pregnancy is not your first period. It is the bleed that occurs in response to falling hormones associated with the lost pregnancy. Some women find that bleeding and spotting after treatment for ectopic pregnancy can last up to six weeks. Many women experience changes to their menstrual cycles after an ectopic pregnancy and it can take some time to settle back into a rhythm that is more usual for you. Periods can be heavier or lighter or more painful than before - as we are so individual there isn't necessarily a set pattern.

Please know that these boards are here for you, any time, to share or to vent for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available on our [ectopic.org.uk]website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
https://us2.campaign-archive.com/home/? ... e8ff75721f
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Aby

Post by Aby »

Thank you so much for your response Michele.
I feel better today, I called my GP and she told me to take some pain killer for atleast 3days. Some days are hard but I am taking a day at a time.
Bless you

Aby

Post by Aby »

Hiya Abiloiuse,
Thanks for your response. I have been having sex, although I took a test some days before my period started and it was negative. It's good to know I am not alone.
Gracia.