By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Post surgery norms?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Floops39

Post surgery norms?

Post by Floops39 »

Hi all. Like everyone on here I wish I wasn’t posting on here but I am.

Monday night I went into hospital and had emergency surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy in my right Fallopian tube. The pregnancy and the tube were removed. It was terrifying and heartbreaking.

I just wanted peoples opinions on what is “normal” after the laroproscopy surgery. I am still in a lot of pain and almost out of pain killers. I have bled since the surgery which has gotten heavier and I have horrific period pains - is this to be expected a few days after surgery? I was diagnosed with endometriosis following the surgery too so that might explain the bad period pains?

Also, TMI, but I haven’t managed to open my bowels since surgery (day 5 post op now) and I’ve tried everything. The lactulose, peppermint tea, mobilising, nothing is working. Is this normal? And any tips on how to get things going as I’m in so much pain from it?

Thank you xx

Sanwars2206

Re: Post surgery norms?

Post by Sanwars2206 »

Hi Floops39

So sorry you’ve also been through this.
The hospital & docs told me recovery time is up to 6 weeks after surgery.
I am 4 weeks post op & still have pains.
I wasn’t given painkillers from the hospital when they discharged me they just said paracetemol & ibruprofen but I know other people on the ward were given coedine which blocks you up. I can’t take coedine because of this reason as it seriously blocks me up & causes me a lot of pain.
If you have been given this it might be the reason for not passing.
You might want to call your GP & ask them for some advice though as it seems a long time to not go.

I think everyone’s ‘normal’ is different & ur body will tell u what it wants to do most of the time, if ur tired rest, if ur emotional let it out etc

Wishing you the best x

Floops39

Post by Floops39 »

Thanks for your response - I’ve been taking codeine so expect that is the culprit 😔 I spoke with the ward I was on this morning and they’ve advised me to stop the codeine and get some bits from a local chemist and drink loads which should hopefully get things moving and help with the gas pain! X

Rosie88

Post by Rosie88 »

It’s definitely the case that everyone is different! I’ll be four weeks post-op on Monday, I don’t have pain really any more - although sometimes stretching out still feels a bit stiff - but my stitches are showing no signs of disappearing yet. They said they were the dissolvable ones so wouldn’t need removing - anyone have any idea how long this takes!? I thought it was only a couple of weeks.

Floops39

Post by Floops39 »

I’m sure my nurse said about 10 days but she also told me that dissolvable stitches in her never dissolve so she has to go to the doctors anyway to get them taken out. If you’re unsure I’d contact your GP to get some advice x

Steviels

Post by Steviels »

Hey guys, I’m sorry this has happened to you all as well
I thought I’d jump in and give you my experience post surgery to see if it gives any peace of mind
The surgery was just over 4 weeks ago, I still have some pains when stretching too and also took me 5 days to have any bowel movement
I eased off the medication the hospital gave me (codeine and laxatives) to see if it would help and it did but I was still taking paracetamol for pain so maybe that will help when you feel ready?

Personally the bleeding after surgery carried on for another 9 days after quite heavy and then eased off and stopped and the last stitching in my belly button literally fell out a few days ago so it did take a month to dissolve itself x

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Floops39,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

It sound as though the codeine medication may have been a factor of your constipation.
I have added more information on self help treatment here, but if it continues and especially if you start to feel unwell with stomach ache of vomiting, please speak to your GP or out of hours provider.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/constipation/

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team