By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Salpingostomy - Ongoing pain

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
ridgeridoo

Salpingostomy - Ongoing pain

Post by ridgeridoo »

Hi there

I had a salpingostomy for an ectopic on the 5th June so just over one month ago, and I still have vague pains on the side of my surgery. I have already ovulated and am waiting for my period.

I was worried that I had a persistent ectopic but a pregnancy test a week ago was thankfully negative.

I'm just wondering if anyone had residual pain after a salpingostomy 4-5 weeks after and is this normal?

Thanks

EPT Host 22

Re: Salpingostomy - Ongoing pain

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Ridgeridoo,

I'm so very sorry to hear that you've suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss. My heart aches for you and I know how many questions the experience can leave us with. I will do my very best to help.

Many women experience discomfort after experiencing ectopic pregnancy and it can be a scary time. The pain could be for a number of reasons. It could be due to adhesions or scar tissue that form as part of your recovery. It could be as a result of ovulation pains (many women feel this when they hadn't before including myself). It may also be heightened awareness after everything you have endured.

You could keep a pain diary, noting when the pain starts, when and where you experience pain, and the intensity. You could also write down anything that helps the pain including paracetamol, rest, hot water bottle, etc and you could discuss your notes with your doctors. These details would help them determine how best to manage your symptoms.

Your surgery was so recent and it's so very, very important to give yourself time to heal physically and emotionally. There is no set time frame for our recovery. Some days are good; some days less so. Over time, things become a bit more normal. These boards are full of people who, unfortunately, share in this experience, and we are here for you. As well, the Trust operates a hotline if you want to speak to someone about your experience. The contact information is in my signature.

Please know we are here for you for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team