By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant management - how long to recover fully

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
RachelRachel

Expectant management - how long to recover fully

Post by RachelRachel »

Hi,

I recently became pregnant but quickly started experiencing awful pains in my lower abdomen and butt (nice). Going to the loo was incredibly painful and I would get periodic stabbing pain though-out the day and night.

I went to the Early Pregnancy Unit for a scan which identified the ectopic pregnancy at circa seven weeks. I was able to opt for expectant management which I am grateful for. I believe that the main miscarriage has happened. My HCG levels are dropping nicely. I was given a course of antibiotics for a urine infection. All seems to be going well. The problem is that my lower abdomen including ovaries and rectum still feel swollen and painful. Not as bad as it was but enough to make any walking more than ten minutes uncomfortable. Normally I run and do daily exercise which I find super good for my wellbeing. I really want to be able to go for a run but it’s just too uncomfortable. The scan was two weeks ago. Does anyone know roughly home long it takes to feel fully normal again?

Thank you

Xxx

EPT Host 20

Re: Expectant management - how long to recover fully

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear RachelRachel,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It can take a few months for our bodies to settle down after an ectopic pregnancy. You do however mention that you had a urinary tract infection and whilst you were treated for this, the symptoms you have could possibly mean that it is not fully resolved.
I would suggest speaking to your GP about your ongoing symptoms just to be on the safe side.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Jenn150

Re: Expectant management - how long to recover fully

Post by Jenn150 »

Hi Rachel

I was wondering how long it took you to feel normal again? I’m hoping you do by now! I’m going through the same thing - ectopic thats being managed expectantly, with the same pains and although my HCG levels have dropped considerably the pains haven’t... (the pain has lasted for just over two weeks so far, and my hcg is under 100 now)

I’m really looking forward to being able to get back to doing exercise and even just going out for a dog walk...