By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Rising HCG, ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Tara2

Rising HCG, ectopic

Post by Tara2 »

Hi everyone,
I would just like to share my experience of my ectopic pregnancy- I am 3 weeks laparoscopy, and left tube removal . I found out I was pregnant the 4th July following what I thought was my period (5 days early) but I continued to have some spotting, only when I wiped and bellyache so luckily I did multiple pregnancy tests which all came back positive. I rang the early pregnancy unit local to where I live, as with the spotting and pain I had a feeling something just wasn't right. I had my hormones levels checked which would have been 5 weeks since my previous proper period and they were 2600- a scan revealed pregnancy of unknown location, two days later my hormones had increased to 7200 (5 week, 2 days) then three days later when I was scanned and the pregnancy seen in my tube my hormones were 18,500- the doctors and nurses seemed puzzled/shocked that they had been increasing like a normal pregnancy, the doctor saying he expected them to be 9,000 & I was scanned again before having surgery.
This is my first pregnancy, me and my partner had been TTC for only two months so we was so happy and excited to now feel shocked, upset, anxious about the future what if we was to get pregnant again and not get scanned until 6 weeks like they usually do post-ectopic if my hormones were to increase like that again, the only treatment would be to take my one remaining tube. Physically and emotionally it is such a challenging time, at times I have felt very bitter- which isn't like me at all. Reading positive stories on here of couples going on to have successful pregnancies following surgery are keeping me hopeful, although we will definitely wait the recommended 2 periods/3 months before we try again for our little rainbow baby.
Best wishes everyone x

EPT Host 20

Re: Rising HCG, ectopic

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Tara2,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

It is normal to feel anxious about the future. We generally feel a mix of emotions from wanting to try again to being petrified of what may lie ahead. We never forget, but we learn to accept what happened. It is a slow process that might be weeks or months ahead.
In time, we can get to a place where we feel comfortable trying again. When this is, is individual for each person. There is no timeframe for recovery, take each day as it comes.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away. As you have mentioned, this can feel like a long wait but this is so there is a reasonable chance of seeing an embryo at this stage.
Sadly now we are more aware of the symptoms of ectopic pregnancy and if you experience pain or bleeding or feel dizzy and unwell to seek urgent medical attention
We are here too. TTC is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. You are not alone, we here emotional support whenever you need us and there is a specific Preparing for your next pregnancy board can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Tara2

Post by Tara2 »

Thank you very much for your reply Karen, it’s reassuring to speak to women who have unfortunately experienced this awful, uncertain time.
What really scares me for the future is EPU will scan us from 6 weeks but at 5 weeks 2 my hormones was 7200 and at 5,5 my hormones was 18,500 so far too late to be able to have Methatrexate, really want to protect my remaining tube .
Thanks again Karen

Carlene1987

Post by Carlene1987 »

Hi there,
I had exactly the same in January this year. Thought my bleeding was my period but it was far too light and long so took a test and it was positive. I also had tummy pain and blood when I wiped. Went to the EPU which prompted a scan but they couldn't see anything (I was 5 weeks at this point). Had my bloods done and went from 831 to 1703 in hours. After that I was booked in for another scan but the nurse said it should be fine as my levels were rising as they should. 5 days later my bloods were over 8000. The scariest thing was that my bloods were rising normally which the doctors said was quite uncommon.
We started trying again after 2 cycles and that was 6 months ago now. We never struggled to fall pregnant before so this is very hard for me to deal with atm.

Tara2

Post by Tara2 »

Hi Carlene,
Yeah sounds very similar to me as they said pregnancy of unknown location firstly when HCG was 2600, then could be seen in the tube at 18,500 but with the hormones increasing the consultant was still puzzled as she said , makes it scary when they’re saying they’re puzzled and intrigued !
How long did it take you to conceive firstly if you don’t mind me asking ? Have you been using ovulation strips or anything? We cannot try yet but that’s also an anxiety of mine as we got pregnant after 2 Months with the ectopic pregnancy. Is that your first child also?
Fingers crossed and praying you you shall soon see the two lines! Hope you’ve had a good recovery also x