By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Anyone Pregnant again?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
vic1983

Anyone Pregnant again?

Post by vic1983 »

Hi all,
I had an ectopic pregnancy 5 months ago and one of my tubes was removed.
I want to know, in reality, good or bad, did you get pregnant again with one tube and how long did it take you?
My husband and I are considering having IVF as I am 37 this week and he is 45. We have no previous children.
My doctor is very laid back about it all and is like, 'oh yes you will get pregnant again don't worry about it'.... The problem is it took us a year of constant non stop trying to get pregnant in the first place. My heart breaks when I think how long it might take now 50 per cent of my tubes have gone! My husband has told me once I get to 40 it is game over in reality as he does not want to be a new father beyond 48 years old. After the age of 37 IVF success rates drop dramatically.
I don't care if you message me back and tell me it took you 5 years.... I just need to know the cold hard truth (or the good news) to help me make a decision about IVF.
My heart is breaking. I am low every day. I am hurting so much.
Thank you for all your replies in advance xx

TK_85

Re: Anyone Pregnant again?

Post by TK_85 »

Hi there,
Sorry to hear of your experience. Hopefully some reassurance for you - a close friend of mine lost her right tube due to an ectopic pregnancy a number of years ago. She fell pregnant 6 months later and now has 2 children so there’s definitely hope! Good luck x

vic1983

Post by vic1983 »

Thank you for your response.... Can I ask how old your friend was? xx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Vic1983,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss, I cannot give you personal advice as I was treated with methotrexate.

Generally speaking, the chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.
Importantly, help is available if conceiving naturally has not yet been successful after some time trying - and the EPT advises that women under 35 should seek medical advice following 12 months trying to conceive and those over 35 should seek advice after 6 months.

It is natural to be worried after everything you have been through. However I do have to mention that sadly even with IVF there is the risk of ectopic pregnancy. However it is important to remember that help is available and your doctors should book you in for an early scan at around six weeks to check that the embryo is in the right place. I am not sure where you are located but if you are in the UK you can also contact your local Early Pregnancy Unit direct and self refer for an early scan. This can also give you peace of mind that you have the care available should you need some reassurance.

As you are over 35, if you have not successfully conceived in another month, I would advise speaking to your GP. If you do not feel confident that your current GP is taking you seriously, I would advise speaking to another one in your practice.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

vic1983

Post by vic1983 »

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.

My GP is fantastic and very thorough. She has referred me to the fertility clinic for some further tests and perhaps some assisted fertility - maybe clomid or something like that. I am grateful for this, however I have a deep sense of urgency about the situation. I have ached to be a mother for 15 years and only met my husband 2 years ago. So I have felt very much unable to have a child due to my circumstances until now.

I have decided to have IVF. For me personally being 37 tomorrow is a huge upset and almost a wake up call that I need to get on with it. I desperately don't want to spend the next 2 years trying to conceive naturally only to find that then I am almost 40 and the chances with 2 tubes would be low let alone only one.

Initially I felt totally gutted that I had made this decision and that it has come to this. I did not see this coming in my life (I am sure no one does) and it has been a huge loss and completely devastating. We had a very early miscarriage in April 2020 and then had the ectopic in June 2020. So we had a double loss within 2 months. It is strange how you can spend almost a year trying and then get pregnant 2 months in a row, only to lose them both.

By having IVF I feel like I am regaining some control and giving it the absolute best shot I possibly can to make this happen for us and to give myself the best chance of not having another ectopic (although I know there is a tiny chance with IVF). I am now gearing up emotionally to have had IVF by very early 2021 and know what the results of this have been.

I don't know what else I can do about this situation. It is just a whole world of pain and confusion and desperation. I am a teacher too and I see so many kids who are not looked after and who are seemingly unwanted. It is just awful.

Rosie2020

Post by Rosie2020 »

Hi

I was pregnant at the age of 36 six months after my ectopic and surgery to remove my right tube. I also had very very irregular periods before and after the surgery and so the pregnancy was a big surprise. We now have a healthy 8 month old baby. I know everyone’s story is different and I was told by my GP that it was unlikely to happen naturally or quickly...
Sending lots of love xxx