By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Methotrexate and levels

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LauraG

Methotrexate and levels

Post by LauraG »

Hi all, im wondering if anyone's had a similar experience.
I was diagnosed with an ectopic in my left tube 2 weeks ago. My HCG was only 44 so they waited 48 hours to see if my body was naturally dealing with it. Unfortunately, my levels rose to 51 so I was given methotrexate. My day 4 levels had risen to 110! Then my day 7 results were 109. I was given another injection and yesterday was my day 4 (again!) and levels had dropped by 10 to 109. They need to see a 15% drop by Saturday so I can avoid surgery.
Has anyone else needed 2 injections and it been successful. Is the drop on day 4 of 10 a good sign. I feel all over the place and just want this to be over so I can start to heal.

LauraG

Re: Methotrexate and levels

Post by LauraG »

LauraG wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:21 am
Hi all, im wondering if anyone's had a similar experience.
I was diagnosed with an ectopic in my left tube 2 weeks ago. My HCG was only 44 so they waited 48 hours to see if my body was naturally dealing with it. Unfortunately, my levels rose to 51 so I was given methotrexate. My day 4 levels had risen to 110! Then my day 7 results were 109. I was given another injection and yesterday was my day 4 (again!) and levels had dropped by 10 to 109. They need to see a 15% drop by Saturday so I can avoid surgery.
Has anyone else needed 2 injections and it been successful. Is the drop on day 4 of 10 a good sign. I feel all over the place and just want this to be over so I can start to heal.
Edit - day 4 this time was 99

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Hello, I know how you feel, it's a tough road monitoring the HCG drop (and hard not to be obsessive!). I was diagnosed about six weeks ago, after two weeks of them monitoring my HCG rising (it was at 70 when I first went in, but they couldn't see anything til it got up to over 1000).

My levels went:
Day 1 - 1032, given first dose
Day 4 - 1300
Day 7 - 1052, given second dose
Day 10 - 429
Day 14 - 329

So I did have a big drop on day 10. It's gradually been dropping since then, and I've just had a negative pregnancy test finally so will be discharged from the EPU. Now it's just a case of waiting for my first period then taking folic acid for 12 weeks. If you ever need an ear do send me a message! The methotrexate treatment is hard in it's own way, and quite different from the experience of having surgery which is what a lot of people on here have sadly gone through.
I hope you have enough of a drop to avoid surgery - sending luck (and a hug too)

Ks210

Post by Ks210 »

Oh I forgot to write that one of the nurses mentioned that the drop tends to be slower if you're under 100 which I have seen in my results. That initial big drop slowed and once I got under 100 it was dropping less quickly. Could be that yours is dropping slowly because your levels are relatively low to begin with?

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

Thank you for your reply.
I'm really hoping I've had a big enough drop this time. My levels are very low and I really don't want surgery, especially so close to Christmas. The nurse who did my bloods yesterday said she'd never known a second dose not to work but they obviously can't be sure until Saturday. It's just awful waiting. I keep obsessing with every little twinge and feel so fragile. I had another ectopic 6 years ago with twins. That was horrendous but my levels started to drop straight away so by day 7 I was only on weekly blood tests. It felt easier to deal with in a way as I felt it was at least working.
I'm glad you're now finished with this journey. Xx

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

Just to update the feed in case others find it helpful -
After the nurses saying they've never known someone's HCG rise after 2 lots of methotrexate mine did. On day 7 of my second dose my HCG was 111. I ended up in surgery to have my left tube and the pregnancy tissue removed. I was allowed him that evening and am recovering well. All I can say is thank goodness for the NHS.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LauraG,
I am so sorry to hear that you have had to have surgery on top of methotrexate injection, sadly this does occasionally happen.

Make sure you are being kind to yourself and allow time to grieve to and especially to heal both physically and emotionally.

We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

Thank you Karen. I'm very shocked as my levels were so low all the hospital staff assured me the methotrexate would work. Luckily surgery went to plan and so far my recovery is going well.
Thank you for your support. Xx