By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Belly button healing

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LauraG

Belly button healing

Post by LauraG »

Merry Christmas everyone!
I'm now 19 days post surgery, the 2 incision at my sides are healing really well and pretty much just scabs now.
However, my belly button seems to be taking a lot longer. I can't actually see the incision at the back of my belly button, my husbands been checking it and said it looks OK with no signs of infection.
How long did other people's belly button take to fully heal? I'm not sure if I'm being impatient. Also, any tips on how to speed up the healing process?

Thanks

Stephy

Re: Belly button healing

Post by Stephy »

Hi Laura,

I can't really help as I'm only day 8 post-op - I'd just say follow the advice of the hospital in respect of wound care - sometimes things just take longer!

elew26

Post by elew26 »

My wounds took around 6 weeks to completely heal, I cleaned the wounds with salt water to prevent any infection. Maybe just me but I found the belly button incision got a bit smelly! My stitches took 6 weeks to dissolve x

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

Thanks for your replies. I think the belly button is so hard to keep clean and dry because of where the incision is. You obviously sweat etc and it's hard to get air right to the back. I'm 3 weeks post surgery today so maybe I am being a little impatient. My period also started yesterday and the cramps are a little more painful than usual so I'm guessing the internal bruising etc might be causing this.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LauraG,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention

We have more information on recovery from surgery including information on sutures here
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/your-bo ... pregnancy/

As a gentle reminder, If you find that you have an increased body temperature of more than 37°C or offensive smelling discharge or the wound site starts oozing or feels hot to touch, please do get medical attention as soon as possible as these can be signs of infection.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

Thanks Karen.
My GP has given me some antibiotic cream to use on my belly button as a precaution. She said it won't do any harm if there isn't an infection and it can premote healing.
So far period seems to be normal flow wise but a bit more painful than usual. I guess that's to be expected.

Thank you for your help. Xx

blackcatphobia

Post by blackcatphobia »

My belly button one was the worst as well. I got a salve from my GP to prevent infection etc, and when I was in the shower made sure to give it a thorough rinse-out and pat-dry to make sure nothing...grew in there. It took a week or two longer than the other two to settle down, and I had to get rid of a bit of scab that was irritating it all, but it did get there. Good luck, and speedy healing!

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

Thank you. I've been using the antibiotic cream the last few days as a precaution. It seems to be healing just taking its time!! I'm making sure I rinse it under the shower every morning and using a hair dryer to ensure it's completely dry before applying the cream. I just want it to heal so I'm not so anxious about infection and can start to move on and feel myself again.