By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Pain on left side

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Confused2020

Pain on left side

Post by Confused2020 »

This is my first time posting. I am hoping posting and vocalising my emotions will help me get through them.

I had my pregnancy removed on Christmas Eve after finding out it was ectopic only moments before. My right tube was removed also. The pain on my left side is intermittent so I'm unsure if this is normal? My left thigh has pins and needles and often feels numb. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

When is it ok to sleep on my side?

How do I move past all these mixed emotions.

Stephy

Re: Pain on left side

Post by Stephy »

Hi confused,

Have you asked your epau about it?

I had surgery on 18th Dec and have had some pain similar to what you describe but your best bet would be to check with the medics.

I'm so sorry you're going through this too. I've found these forums to be helpful in the last 10 days, knowing I'm not on my own. It is still hard physically and emotionally and I have random tears but know that eventually I'll learn how to live with the loss. I hope you do too

Thinking of you.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear confused2020,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Many women experience pain and discomfort following surgery and it is not unusual to still report some discomfort several months after an abdominal operation.

After an operation, people often get aches and pains in places they did not expect to, such as the back, neck, hips and legs can all be very sore. The staff in the operating theatre take great care of you when you are asleep and try to move you into the positions they need you to be in very gently. However, because your muscles are very relaxed as a result of the anaesthetic, sometimes muscles can ache for several days after your surgery. Take it easy, take the pain relief you were given in hospital and your aches should resolve over a few days.
If however the pain, numbness, pins and needles do not settle in a few days or worsen, I advise seeking medical advice by speaking with your GP.

Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a gruelling task. When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal. You have been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.
You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.
You can sleep on your side when it is comfortable for you to do so. As far as I'm aware, there is no reason for you to avoid this as long as you are not in pain.

There is no timeframe for recovery please take each day as it comes. Be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

gabriel123

Post by gabriel123 »

Hi there I’m so sorry that you’ve also experienced this. I did also at the beginning of December. In answer to your question yes the pain still comes snd goes for me even now but I have just started my first period (I think) since.
I laid on my star fir the first time yesterday and it wasn’t the most comfortable but much improved. Hope this helps and any questions please ask xx lots of love xx