By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

RE: Pain after Ectopic 4 Months Ago

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
Post Reply
Scrubsfan103
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am

RE: Pain after Ectopic 4 Months Ago

Post by Scrubsfan103 »

Hello,

My mame is Nicole and I had an ectopic pregnancy last August in my left tube. I was given Methotrexate and my levels went down to 0 by early October.

Since my ectopic, I have been having pain at the top of my left thigh(tube is still there) similar to the ectopic pains i experienced. The pain comes and goes usually leading up to my period and ovulation. I did a sonohysterosalpingogram in November and they said both tubes appeared clear.

I am currently on my second cycle of Letrozole (as I have PCOS). The doctors have advised that my mature follicle is growing on the same left side where I had the ectopic. I am currently ovulating and then will wait the 2 week period. The pain has slightly increased the past few days but is manageable.

Can I have a successful pregnancy on the same side where I had an ectopic pregnancy a few months prior? Or is it likely to be another ectopic?

Is the pain normal considering it was months ago and I did not have surgery? Or does it mean there is damage to the tube?

Nicole

EPT Host 22
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: RE: Pain after Ectopic 4 Months Ago

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Scrubsfan103,

I'm so sorry that you have suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss, and now, are going through this worrying time. It can be very normal to feel pains after ectopic pregnancy. I'm not medically qualified and am unable to comment on your particular situation, however, women on these boards have reported new sensations associated with their periods following an ectopic pregnancy. Sometimes it's related to their surgeries, pain from adhesions, or scar tissue which forms as part of the recovery process, but it could also be because of ovulation pains as many women feel ovulation pains when they did not before. It might also be as a result of heightened awareness after your ordeal.

To assist, you could keep a pain diary too - when you experience the pain and where, its intensity and anything that helps like rest or pain relief, and noting when your period starts. You can also speak to your doctors sooner, taking these notes with you a GP appointment and the details will help your doctors best manage your symptoms. It is always better to get checked out to be on the safe side.

It’s very normal to have worries about trying to conceive. Many feel that way; I did and still struggle with it. With future pregnancies, it is possible to have early scans to ensure you have the right help in the beginning. It may provide some comfort to know that it is usually possible to conceive successfully after having an ectopic pregnancy, though the time it generally takes varies considerably from couple to couple. Approximately 65 percent of women are healthily pregnant within 18 months of ectopic pregnancy and some studies show this rises to around 85 percent after two years.

On your fertility, the egg from the tubeless side can be picked up by the other Fallopian tube, and that means that fertility is not halved with having a Fallopian tube removed. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time. This means that rather than your fertility being halved it has been affected by around 30% or, looking at it another way, it means we have around a 70% opportunity of conception with each menstrual (period) cycle.

The Trust advises couples to wait at least two full menstrual cycles or three months before trying to conceive again. This is to allow time for your body to heal and emotions to surface and be worked through. However, you can start taking folic acid now. It is recommended to take folic acid for at least 12 weeks prior to conception. In the UK, the repeat occurrence of an EP is about a 10 percent chance, but looking at it another way, there is a 90 percent chance of the embryo being in the right place.

We understand how nerve-wracking this all can be. These Boards are a safe space, and we here for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
**************************************************************************
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team
***************************************************************************

Scrubsfan103
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am

Re: RE: Pain after Ectopic 4 Months Ago

Post by Scrubsfan103 »

Hi Michele,

Thank you for your response.

Just to clarify, I still have both tubes. Do you know if it is possible for the tube where I previously had an ectopic to carry a healthy pregnancy?


Nicole

LauraG
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:13 am

Re: RE: Pain after Ectopic 4 Months Ago

Post by LauraG »

Hi, I had an ectopic with twins that was successfully treated with methotrexate. I fell pregnant again approx 6 months after and ovulated from that same side. I had a healthy pregnancy and my son is now almost 5! Good luck!

Scrubsfan103
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am

Re: RE: Pain after Ectopic 4 Months Ago

Post by Scrubsfan103 »

Thank you Laura.

Its comforting to know that other people have found success.

Anxious for these two weeks to be over.


Nicole

Post Reply