By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant Management

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
KatAdams12

Expectant Management

Post by KatAdams12 »

I recently found out I had an ectopic pregnancy. Around the 6 week mark I started bleeding and went in for a scan which couldn't detect a pregnancy. I had blood tests to check my hormone levels and 2 further scans, which eventually revealed an ectopic pregnancy in my right fallopian tube. The early pregnancy unit are encouraging me to deal with this with expectant management, which I'm happy to do as I'm in very little pain and the bleeding is slowing down a lot. It's been 11 days since I started bleeding and I've had 4 blood tests in that time. My start hormone level was 727, then 2 days later was 780, 2 days later was 680 and 4 days after that was 620. But now I'm already getting frustrated with this method as I feel I'm leaving it all up to fate to resolve this problem and I'm doing nothing to resolve it myself and get back to normal, as I'm told to rest rest rest! My last blood test I was hoping for a big drop in the number but it was the smallest yet. If this doesn't resolve naturally then I will need surgery (assuming it doesn't rupture in the meantime). I don't know how long I can just wait around for it to pass. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their hormone levels and has any success (or otherwise) stories to share to help me get my head around it?

NikiA1992

Re: Expectant Management

Post by NikiA1992 »

I presented to A+E with HCG levels of 2667, 2 days later they had dropped to 1885, then down to 1227 and now down to 1000.

I was due to have surgery because they discovered my ectopic in my left fallopian tube and it's quite big but due to the drop in my HCG levels i am on expectant management and also because im having very little symptoms, ie small amount of vaginal bleeding and very little pain etc..but there is still a chance of rupture.

The important thing to remember is if your symptoms worsen or you pass out or anything like that then get to the hospital straight away x

Elle11

Post by Elle11 »

Hi Kat,
I’m going through something similar at the moment and agree with you that it just feels like we are in limbo, waiting for the unknown and fearing the worst.
I’m keen not to have MTX or surgery so am hoping this self resolves, but understand the anxiety around what might happen if the levels stop dropping, and with the fear it can rupture even if HCG is low and dropping.
I’ve read a lot into expectant management and it seems that a large proportion of selected patients do well. I think units will offer it if your levels are dropping, minimal or no pain, and if the ectopic is small. Do you know the size from your scan?

Elle11

Post by Elle11 »

Niki can I ask what the bleeding for you has been like? And what the size of your ectopic was?

I feel for you both going through this... this is such an awful situation, hope you are doing okay

Thanks for sharing xx

lolly2481

Post by lolly2481 »

I am going through expectant management and it is a long game and in the beginning my anxiety levels were high. I started with light spotting at 5 weeks which was heavier bleeding by 6 weeks but no pain above a slight ache on my left side. On the 9th of December a scan showed a pregnancy on my ovary a couple of centimetres (honestly, the hospital have been a bit vague about it and I only saw a doctor once on the first day). Initial hCG levels were low at 189 and after going for blood tests every 48 hours over 8 days it dropped to 139 with a slight increase on the 3rd blood test. Once it dropped to 139 I was allowed to go back after 10 days (should have been 7 days but it was Christmas and I needed a break as the cycle of going backwards and forwards to the hospital and waiting for results). After 10 days hCG levels had dropped to 29. I'm now 2 weeks into a 3 week wait to do a HPT. The hope being I should be negative by then. Bleeding wise..I had bleeding for about 2.5 weeks which got lighter towards the end.

No-one tells you how hard the limbo of expectant management is. But I prefer this to surgery. I am terrified of needing surgery. Everyone wants to tell you how lucky you are that you don't need surgery or methotrexate, and yes we will hopefully come out of this with tubes intact etc but it's not EASY.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear KatAdams12,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Whilst expectant management has the least physical side effects of all treatment methods, it can be a drawn out process and I'm sorry you are having to go through this.
There is no set pattern for how quickly hCG levels fall and I appreciate how frustrating it can be.
Have your medical team mentioned methotrexate? This can be used as an alternative to surgery. We have more information on our website here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

I would discuss through all options, including how it is affecting you emotionally to your medical team.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team