By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Expectant management query

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Elle11

Expectant management query

Post by Elle11 »

Hi all,
I am currently being monitored for a PUL (likely ectopic) where nothing can be seen on a scan.
I have had HCG levels that started at 266 14days ago, went up to 466 after 1 week and then started coming down (397 48hrs later, and today 309 which is 4.5days later).
I have had spotting throughout and just today started to have slightly heavier bleeding (like a light period) with a mild intermittent cramp on one side that just started.

I’ve got an appointment with EPAU tomorrow where I know they will suggest MTX but I’m wondering if it is reasonable that I ask to continue on expectant management?
Is this rate of decline acceptable?
I know there is always a risk of it going back and/or rupture even at low levels.. but my gut thinks it will be ok I guess.

I haven’t been able to find much out there about this and know they want to see levels to drop quicker than this, but seeing as it is still somewhat “dropping” wondering if I am reasonable in not wanting methotrexate yet (hopefully not at all)?

Thank you in advance,
xx

EPT Host 20

Re: Expectant management query

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Elle11,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
In deciding whether expectant management was appropriate, doctors would first of all look at the results of blood tests, ultrasound scan(s) and undertake an assessment of your general health. Expectant management would then be considered for treatment when:
– The hormone being made by the pregnancy (beta hCG) is low
– General health appears to be stable
– Pain levels are considered to be acceptable
– An ultrasound scan shows a small ectopic pregnancy with no worrying bleeding into the abdomen.
We have more information here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

I would advise speaking your options through with your medical team, but certainly discuss the option of expectant management.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team