By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

2 ectopics in lockdown

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
carlenef

2 ectopics in lockdown

Post by carlenef »

Hi guys
I'm just sending this message to feel less alone. In the last weekend of March 2020 I suffered a corneal ectopic which required emergency surgery and four days in hospital to deal with a massive internal bleed
Fast forward to the first week of January and I got a BFP on my pregnancy test. I contacted my EPU and given my history they had me in straight away for blood tests- my hgc was 24. From then for two weeks it continued to double to reach 3320 however I was being scanned from 839 onwards and it was a pregnancy of unknown location. I'd been spotting on and off for a week and knew something wasn't right. The final scan on Monday showed an ectopic pregnancy in my left (and only remaining) tube. I am completely devastated and feel empty. The doctors have decided to try methotrexate first as rhe pregnancy appeared small and I'm on day 4. I've had a hormone increase to 4500 so on Sunday (day 7) they will decide if I've had enough of a drop or whether surgery us required. I'm petrified that before I get there i'll rupture and lose my last tube. I dont have any pain but continue to spot on and off and feel completely wiped out. I have a three year old son and I'm so grateful for him but my dreams of him having a sibling and me having one more chance to hold a baby have been shattered and the limbo I am now in is excruciating. Any advice, encouragement or reflections would really help. My husband is wonderful but at the moment is so worried about me having surgery again its all he can think of x

EPT Host 22

Re: 2 ectopics in lockdown

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Carlenef,

My heart goes out to you, you have endured so much in such a short periods of time. I don't often share my experience, but I also suffered two ectopics in 2010 within 7 months of one another. The first a ruptured tube, the second a corneal which attached to the stump of the remaining tube, and ruptured my uterus. You have been through an absolute ordeal.

First, I just want to say, please look after yourself right now. It is good you have receive MTX, and you may be feeling symptoms that make you feel more tired, not as well right now. It is necessary to slow down and avoid heavy lifting. As well, as you likely know, until your levels are at non-pregnant there is still chance of rupture. I do not say that to worry you, but just to be mindful of what your body is telling you. And to seek emergency treatment at A&E or through 111 if you need it.

Secondly, I know the emotional journey to recovery takes time. The experience you have gone through is made harder during this pandemic. Please know, there was nothing that was done to cause this ectopic pregnancy, nor anything we can do to prevent them. The most important thing is to look after yourself right now, for as long as you need. The recovery, both physically and emotionally, had no set pathway. It is different for each person and takes time. I often recommend to women that a journal may help them start processing their thoughts and emotions. Often there is so much to express after this experience and it can be hard to sort through everything.

I can say that time does heal, both physically and emotionally. I did go on to have a baby naturally, two years later. And to the surprise of everyone (mostly me!), eight years later as well. (But also which is no longer encouraged by my doctors with my corneal history).

Please take these days slowly and look after yourself. We are here for you for anything you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

carlenef

Post by carlenef »

Thanks Michele
It is a lot to process and still being in it while waiting to see if the methotrexate works is extremely hard. Its warming to know that you went on to have babies after two ectopics as I am still wishing that for my future. I find myself flip flopping between being in the very present moment - day by day feeling - and then wishing I knew there was definitely better news in the future. I hope to continue to find safety in this community as I think it will be a long road ahead.

gabriel123

Post by gabriel123 »

My heart goes out to you x

carlenef

Post by carlenef »

Thank you gabriel123. Its day 7 for me today following my methotrexate so I'm waiting to find out if its working or if I need a second dose or surgery. The waiting is the worst