By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Will I have a normal pregnancy?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
noluck

Will I have a normal pregnancy?

Post by noluck »

Hello
I have had 2 ectopic pregnancies one after the other, one last year treated with surgery & had to have right tube removed as it was ruptured & I had internal bleeding etc. Second one I am currently going through & been found in my left tube, I am being treated with methotrexate, the first dose didn’t work so I’ve had to have a second dose. Just looking to get some advice when I can TTC again, is it after 3 months from having the methotrexate even though I have had to have 2 doses? & also do you think I will always have ectopic pregnancies now or will I stand a chance at having a normal pregnancy? Many thanks.

EPT Host 20

Re: Will I have a normal pregnancy?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear noluck,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. To experience one loss is difficult, dealing with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.

Sadly follow ectopic pregnancy there is increased risk of another,however we do hear from ladies who have multiple ectopic pregnancies and go on to have healthy pregnancies.

Some doctors (mistakenly) think that because they have administered a second dose of Methotrexate that that they must also double the recovery time for the body. However, even in a second dose of Methotrexate, the dosage is still much lower than for treatment of other conditions and is still metabolised by the body very quickly.
Our medical advice is that, if you have had two injections, you should rely on your blood test results as an indicator of what is happening in your body and wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL in blood tests and then can restart taking vitamin/folic acid supplements.
You then need to take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Above all be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

noluck

Post by noluck »

Hello Karen

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I am due to have my hormone level checked again tomorrow & they said that as long as it is below 20 that is when they will discharge me so say for instance if it is 19 tomorrow they will discharge me then how will I know when I’ve gone down to 5 to be able to start taking the folic acid again if that makes sense? Not that I want to try as soon as I have been taking folic acid for 12 weeks but I would like to atleast start getting it into my system again, I just want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible & do everything right in the hope of a successful pregnancy which is why I am just wanting to find out as much as I possibly can.
Many thanks.

Breezie

Post by Breezie »

I also was told that I couldn't take folic/folate until my hcg was at "non pregnant" levels, but also read conflicting information that it was fine to take a week or two weeks after the mtx. I asked my epu last week when my levels were at 89, 12 days after methotrexate, and she said it was fine to start taking it again. My hcg was at 11 yesterday so obviously it had no ill effect? I would speak with your Healthcare provider about your personal situation.

noluck

Post by noluck »

Hi breezie. Thank you for your reply. My levels are 72 and I am 5 weeks after methotrexate, first dose didn’t work so I had to have a second dose. I did ask today & they couldn’t give me any answers because they said I’ve got to wait until my blood tests come back as they have to be below 20, I guess as soon as they go below 20 I’ll start taking it again? No one seems to have any answers for me so I don’t really know what to do. Many thanks.

Ally06

Post by Ally06 »

Hi no luck,

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Your situation is very similar to mine. I too have had surgery to remove my left tube. And I'm currently just had my second dose of methotrexate yesterday to try and save my right tube. My hormone levels are higher and currently sit at 6000 ish. But look to be going down.

You sound eager to try and conceive again and I am too. In regards to your hormone level and not knowing when it reaches 5. I would just make sure before you are discharged that you get the doctor to say that you can start the folic acid. They should be able to give you best advice. I myself will be making sure they give me the go ahead before I start on the vitamins.

I'm really hoping my ectopic will not rupture but I'm getting a little bit of pain at present. So I have my fingers crossed that my tube will be saved. I work in theatres and there is a procedure that is performed laparoscopically. During this a surgeon can inject dye into your fallopian tube to check for damage. It is offered to people who struggle to have children mainly. Im considering this so I can see if my tube is damaged. I have spoke to the consultant and expressed my concerns about going through another ectopic and they said I would be eligible for the procedure.

lm so glad the hcg levels have progressed in the right direction for you. And I wish you all the best in the forture.

Here if you'd like a chat.

Kind regards

Alison

Marjorie

Post by Marjorie »

Dear noluck,
I’m sorry for your loss & what you are going trough. I talked to my OB about taking folic acid again and he told me to wait until I had a negative level of HCG (below 5). I have to do blood test every week until then. He had a bad experience during his career, a woman who had a level at 10 for several weeks and suddenly had a tube rupture :( So he told me to not take any risk and keep checking until my level is below 5 before doing anything else. I trust him and I’m gonna wait just to be sure. I also say better safe than sorry even though I really want to TTC again. Much Love and courage, Marjorie.