By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

How long can I expect to bleed after methotrexate?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Breezie

How long can I expect to bleed after methotrexate?

Post by Breezie »

My story started on Xmas eve, I started spotting after only finding out I was pregnant one week earlier.
By the 28th I went to emergency as the bleeding was quite heavy, for me, my hcg was only 39 and as I was only 4+3 they weren't concerned that they saw nothing on the scan. They said I was likely having an early miscarriage and sent me home to have repeat bloods two days later.

My hcg increased slightly, I didn't get my blood results for a week or so as there was some mix up and I had to chase them up. I contacted my midwife immediately, concerned about an ectopic, she was wonderful and set up an urgent scan the following morning and more bloods.

The scan showed my uterus was empty but the found a small mass near my right ovary, 2.2x1.4x1.5 I think it was. I was sent up to emergency where my bloods had risen again to 67, I was given methotrexate on the 7th of Jan.

My day four bloods it had risen to 113, by day seven they only saw a 10% drop to 102. Because my levels were so low and the mass small the EPU were keen to wait a little longer to see if I could avoid a second dose. A week later my levels had dropped again, to 89. I had my most recent bloods yesterday and was thrilled to hear today that they were at 11, hopefully next week they will be at non-pregnant levels!

This whole time I have had light bleeding and spotting, almost 5 weeks in total! I'm really tired of it. The past week or so I've had days of the lightest spotting, so I light I thought it was finally ending only to be disappointed by more bleeding the following day.

It seems to get worse when I'm active, at work, being lightest on my weekends when I'm resting. Should I be concerned? There are occasional very small clots passing when I use the bathroom still. Will the bleeding stop when my hcg levels return to normal?

Abatross

Re: How long can I expect to bleed after methotrexate?

Post by Abatross »

Hey, I've just been going through similar, I had methotrexate on December 31st and seem to finally have stopped bleeding late last week. My hcg was 70 on Wednesday of last week and I'm really hoping the lack of bleeding might mean it's gone to zero on my next test (tomorrow)! But was bleeding for about 6 weeks altogether non stop as was also bleeding for 3 weeks before getting the methotrexate. I hope yours stops soon! Xx

EPT Host 20

Re: How long can I expect to bleed after methotrexate?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Abatross,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It is common to bleed following treatment for ectopic pregnancy. It is a response to falling hormone levels and involves shedding of the uterine lining and is not classed as a period. The bleeding can be clotty or like one of your usual periods. The length of the bleeding can vary from woman to woman and some women do report spotting and bleeding for up to around six weeks after an ectopic pregnancy.

While this is usually nothing to worry about, if you find that the bleeding increases so that you are soaking more than a pad in an hour or have offensive smelling discharge or body temperature of more than 37°C, please do get medical attention.I
Your bleeding sounds normal but if you are concerned please speak to a healthcare professional

We have more information here-
https://ectopic.org.uk/patients/your-bo ... ancy/quote

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team