By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ovulation pain after tube removal

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
katrina_96

Ovulation pain after tube removal

Post by katrina_96 »

Hi everyone, I had surgery for an ectopic and removal of my right tube on 18th December 2020. I was told by my surgeon to have one menstrual bleed and then continue to try again. I did in fact use ovulation tests before I had my first period which showed I ovulated 3 weeks after surgery (however we obviously didn’t try that month as I was healing) in the days leading up to my peak and afterwards I had pain in my ‘good’ side so my left side with the tube. It would come and go but was quite noticeable. Anyway fast forward to now, I’ve since had a normal period and have just received my peak ovulation test and yet again pain coming and going on the side with my tube. Does anyone else suffer with ovulation pain since their surgery and if so is it anything to worry about? I was told my left tube that wasn’t taken looked in good condition from the outside during surgery but obviously they cannot see inside. Since then I’ve had an ultrasound for a separate issue with my water works and the women kindly offered to look at my ovaries for peace of mind. She said my ovaries looked ‘perfect’ she couldn’t see my left tube as it was a basic external scan and not internal. Sorry this is so long winded I’m just worrying as we are now actively trying again and questioning myself as to why I am getting pain on my good side! This is our second loss in 4 months the first being at 13 weeks due to Turner syndrome. We so desperately want our rainbow 🌈❤️

Petrona40

Re: Ovulation pain after tube removal

Post by Petrona40 »

Hi Katrina,

I am so sorry to hear about your two losses, and you are coping ok.❤️ I hope you don’t mind me asking, how long did you wait for your first period after your surgery? And how many days after your peak ovulation did you get your first period?

I was one week after you, Christmas Day and I had my left tube removed. I have also used ovulation tests to monitor it and today I got a smiley face from clear blue... interestingly, my ovulation pain is the opposite (my right) to my removed tube - the exact same as you! I’m assuming what we are feeling is normal? From what I’m reading, other women have experienced it too. It’s like a dull ache with a light pulling sensation? Hard to describe.

My fingers are crossed you get your rainbow baby! 🌈 if it makes you feel any better, I’m petrified, so it’s so normal to feel worried.

Also... I’m Catriona too, just a different spelling. 💖

katrina_96

Post by katrina_96 »

Hi lovely, thank you for taking the time to reply and putting my mind at ease. I’m so sorry you have also gone through this, it is truly heartbreaking. Just looking through my apps to get my dates for you, right so I had surgery 18th Dec, had the usual post surgery bleed very much like a period. Then exactly 3 weeks to the day I got my first peak, this continued the day after until it dropped back down on 10th Jan. I then got my first proper period on 24th Jan so exactly 2 weeks later. So just a little over 5 weeks since surgery! Going by the calculation that it is my ovulation day today I will be due my next period 22nd Feb so we shall see! Congratulations on getting your smiley face!! It’s amazing how quickly our bodies can recover and get back into sync! I hope your rainbow baby joins you very soon 🌈🌈 Also I love that spelling!!

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Katrina,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and losses. To experience one loss is difficult to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.

Experiencing some pain after an ectopic pregnancy is normal as your body has been through a great deal over the last few months. The pain may be due to adhesions (scar tissue that binds two parts of the body together) which form and take some time to settle. It sounds like your pain maybe your body preparing to ovulate and many women experience ovulation pain when they did not before their ectopic pregnancy - including myself. You also may have a heightened perception because of the sad loss that you have had to go through.
If the pain persists, I suggest keeping a pain diary noting when the pain appears, the intensity on a scale of 0-10 and anything that helps the pain eg resting, hot water bottle, paracetamol etc. Visiting your doctors with this information helps them to assess how best to manage your symptoms.

As a gentle reminder regarding conceiving again, we and many medical professionals advise waiting for two menstrual cycles. It is important to allow time for your body to recover and emotions to surface and be worked through. This is so that you have some comfort that your body is returning to its natural rhythm and you have a last menstrual period date from which to date a new pregnancy - key information in checking you are not suffering from an ectopic pregnancy in the future. The first bleed soon after surgery for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period as it is the body's response to falling hormone levels.

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Petrona40

Post by Petrona40 »

Thank you! ❤️ I’m just grateful for you posting your experience, and to know I’m not the only one! Also, thank you for taking the time to detail how your body has returned to normal. My testing has done the exact same as what yours did... it peaked and has now fallen. Is that normal? I’m praying I get it in the next two weeks or so. I don’t know if you’re the same, but I just want to feel like my old self again, not feeling anxious, but I can’t help but overthink it all!

I am so delighted for you, it must be so reassuring, knowing you are ready to try again. 🌈 How are you feeling?? Are you still testing your ovulation regularly? I didn’t before I fell pregnant but I think I might this time. Optimise our chances!

katrina_96

Post by katrina_96 »

Hi Karen, thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I have read quite a lot about waiting 2 periods or 3 months whichever comes soonest. I was told by my surgeon and doctor that after 1 period I could try however maybe I am kidding myself thinking I am emotionally and physically able. I am due my 2nd official period in less than 2 weeks so will see how I am feeling after then and take it from there.

Hi again Petrona40,
You are more than welcome! Yes it is completely normal to peak and then for it to drop, you normally will peak around 1-2 days before actual ovulation and then it usually drops again once ovulation has occurred. Yes I agree with you about not feeling myself. Even though we took precautions the first month after my ectopic I still felt the need to take a pregnancy test once my period had ended just in case another ectopic had occurred. I think this is something I will be doing for a long time into the future sadly. The month I actually conceived my first pregnancy (A miscarriage that ended at 13 weeks) I was using ovulation tests for the first time and never got a ‘peak’ but somehow managed to conceive! After loosing our first I became obsessed with testing ovulation, to the point I was doing it every time I went to the toilet. We did in fact conceive the 2nd month trying again but that ended with our ectopic. So this time round I have decided rather than getting the super cheap 50 packs from online I am sticking to a 5 pack and use it once a day from days 12-17. I did this during this month and it worked a treat, I caught my peak and no stressing or obsessive testing! It definitely can optimise your chances but can also be a downward slope if it becomes an obsession! Hope you are well. I am 11 days from my period and feeling every twinge/cramp possible 😩 xxx

Katieohmc

Post by Katieohmc »

Hi Katrina and Petrona,
I am so grateful for you sharing your experiences of ovulation pain after your ectopic pregnancies and I’m sorry for your losses. I had my EP in late November 2020, it was an emergency operation and I had my left Fallopian tube removed. Whilst I healed relatively quickly, when ovulating on my ectopic side the ovulation pain I have experienced has been extremely intense and lasts about 7-10 days (I’m actually experiencing it right now which is why I’ve found your posts reassuring) but I can’t help but worry that it means something is wrong.
The length of time it lasts is what worries me the most given that ovulation doesn’t last that long. How long does your ovulation pain last and is there anything you do/take to help the symptoms (we’ve also started trying again so I worry about taking medication just in case I fall pregnant)? Katie 💕

miranda864

Post by miranda864 »

Hi

I had MTX rather than surgery but I too have had ovulation pain almost every month since (except I think the first). In my case it is 24-48 hours of discomfort on one side, not sharp pain but it can be irritating. It feels similar to an ovarian cyst or the corpus luteum which I felt during my ectopic. I don't think I'm imagining it as I have had subsequent blood tests and one month an ultrasound which have confirmed that's what it was.

It definitely seems like a common phenomenon, but I have no idea why! I am not sure heightened awareness explains it all. Who knows.

But Katie, 7-10 days seems a bit on the long side for ovulation pain unless you are very sensitive to feeling follicle growth, but even then they grow so fast I don't think they are big for very long...have you followed up with anyone? have you had an ultrasound?

Katieohmc

Post by Katieohmc »

Hi Miranda,
Thanks for getting back to me and sharing your experience. I’m sorry that your experiencing pain too. I spoke to my gynae a couple of days ago who said it is common to have pain because there is scar tissue and during ovulation there’s a lot of activity around the wound site. He said to think of ovulation like a small explosion where lots of hormones and ultimately the egg is released. He also said that the remaining Fallopian tube picks up the egg from the remaining ovary so again this movement can feel uncomfortable. I did ask about the length of this discomfort and he said that the “activity”/original pain can leave a lasting ache. But of course I need to monitor the situation and if I fall pregnant book an early scan.
It’s all quite stressful though as it acts as a painful reminder of my EP. As much as I hope I fall pregnant I’m also terrified when I experience this lasting pain around ovulation that it will be another ectopic.

Vickij

Post by Vickij »

Thank you for posting your experiences, I'm really sorry that you have all been through this too. I had an ectopic pregnancy about a month ago. I opted for conservative management and was discharged from hospital a week later after my levels dropped to 19. I took a pregnancy test last week which confirmed I wasnt pregnant. I'm experiencing what I think is ovulation pain which feels a little like trapped wind. I'm reassured to hear this is normal. I will keep an eye on it just incase. Xx