By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Advice Please

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Supportive Employer

Advice Please

Post by Supportive Employer »

Hello Everyone
I run a sport social enterprise and one of my staff members has unfortunately had an ectopic pregnancy.

As her boss I want to support her in the best way possible so when she wants to return to work (I have given her open ended leave until she feels ready), I want to ensure we continue to support through what must be a very traumatic experience.

I don't want to discuss it with her directly at present as she is still recovering and the subject is still very raw for her, but if anyone has any advice or ideas on how I as her boss and we as a small business can help her, I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your time

lauraleelee

Re: Advice Please

Post by lauraleelee »

First of all, it’s so lovely to see an employer reaching out on here. It’s very confusing time and difficult to help in this situation.
I had an ectopic in November and was off for 6 weeks. My employer was great, was there for check in and assured me that there was no need to rush back.
I’d suggest just reaching out and saying you’re there to chat and not to worry about work.
Everyone is different but she’ll really appreciate it

Supportive Employer

Thanks

We have been keeping in touch with her and letting her know what is happening so she knows she is still part of our team and we are thinking of her

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Supportive Employer,

Thank you for reaching out. In my years of responding on this forum, it is the first time I have seen an employer reach out. It is very kind and supportive of you to have such concern for what your employee has just endured. I'm sure you will see from other posts that the experience of an ectopic pregnancy is traumatic. At the Trust, we say that both a physical and emotional trauma has occurred each which require recovery. There are no set pathways for these recoveries. Physically, much will depend on how the pregnancy was resolved - on its own, with medication, or with surgery. Emotionally, this will take longer. There is new research evidence about PTSD also being an outcome of suffering an ectopic pregnancy.

As an employer, your sick time and leave policies will be valuable tools to help your employee navigate how they might return. Some women find returning to work is helpful and provides some distraction. I would offer that small check-ins to let them know you are thinking of them, but not requiring work from them, might be helpful. Possibly, greeting cards that do not require a response. They may feel isolated during this time, and small signs of support are very helpful. (I still remember the greetings and flowers from my employers during this time period).

In society, we are just beginning to speak openly about miscarriage. This hasn't yet been the case with ectopic pregnancy, and many people are unaware of what it entails, often the life-threatening nature of it coupled with the loss of a pregnancy. Please feel free to read through the Trust's information on the website and to reach out with any other questions. It is very kind of you to be seeking ways to support your employee. I hope this is a practice that other employers will follow.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Supportive Employer

Thanks Michele

I have supported staff through the trauma of miscarriages before, but ectopic pregnancies are not something I have had either personally or with a staff member before

We are a small team and each member is valuable so I try to look after all of them as best as I can, so wanted to be sure I approached this in the best way possible. It looks like we are going along the right lines as everything you have mentioned we have done or are doing so that's reassuring for me.

I will take some time to read some other discussions on the message board and some of the information on the website.

Thanks again