By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Primary School Teacher going back to school

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
walker_sophie

Primary School Teacher going back to school

Post by walker_sophie »

Hey, thanks again to everyone on this forum and the EPT it has helped me so much since my surgery. I’m 4 weeks post surgery where I lost my right tube. I’ve had 4 weeks off work and I am back next week. I am so nervous as being responsible for 30 amazing little humans scares me at the minute. A walk through the park yesterday made me feel upset as the need for a baby is so strong where it wasn’t before my ectopic. I’ve worked so hard over the past 4 weeks to be mentally strong for my job as that is my purpose but I am feeling anxious. I’m hoping that when I get back to school it will help take my mind off things. I’ve got an extremely supportive headteacher who genuinely cares but I’m still feeling so anxious. I’m just wondering if anyone else is in this situation? I want to go back as I don’t want to let the children in my class down as they are expecting me to be back.

Sorry for the long message just realised it’s better to get it out and write it down.

Thanks
Sophie

EPT Host 22

Re: Primary School Teacher going back to school

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Sophie,

You have been through so much in a short period of time. Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view, so it is still early for you. Being a primary teacher will be is strenuous work, and we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.

A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?

The return to primary school is made more complex by living in times of COVID. You don't need to be strong all on your own. People are already feeling the mental strains of life with COVID, lockdown, not to mention having suffered an ectopic pregnancy. Please don't feel you need to be superhuman. Take things slow. As your headmaster is supportive, be sure to ask for what you need.

Feeling anxious is very normal. Talking therapies can be very helpful in recovery from ectopic pregnancy, especially as the physical recovery often occurs first. You can ask to see a GP at your practice and ask them to explore ways in which you can get help, and this can include referrals for "talking therapies" or counselling. We have information on our website about finding counselling services. The charity, Mind, may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

No matter what, we are here for you whenever you need. Please know you are not alone and take all the time you need to look after yourself and recover. We are here for you whenever you want to talk.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team