By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Returning to work

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
gabriel123

Returning to work

Post by gabriel123 »

Hi all, I’m just trying to get an idea of how long anyone was off work following ectopic rupture and emergency surgery. My physical recovery seemed completed around 7/8 weeks after op and infection but I’m still recovering emotionally, it has been the hardest thing I’ve ever experienced mentally and emotionally. My long-term partner left me a few days after surgery blaming me for getting pregnant which was heart wrenching shock on top of this so I think that may have made things much more difficult. But can anyone enlighten me on their experience in terms of recovery to the point of being able to return to work?
Some days I’m ok then bam out of the blue a wave comes over me thinking about what happened xx any help appreciated xx

iskyla

Re: Returning to work

Post by iskyla »

I’m sorry that you’re going through so much on top of the ectopic and surgery. Wow! I just can’t believe how someone could blame you for something like that...

Everyone’s recovery and circumstances are different so I wouldn’t worry about comparing your needs to anyone else. Take the time you need and get some help for what you’re going through. Can your gp refer you to a therapist to help you?

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Dear Gabriel123,

You have been through so much in a short period of time. Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view, so it is still early for you. The EPT suggests that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. We would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.

A few options may be available depending on the role: might there be an opportunity to work reduced hours, increasing them slowly over a few weeks? Perhaps there are certain tasks that you could take on which may entail a change from your usual role or a series of reduced tasks initially? I am not sure whether this is appropriate in your circumstances, but is there anything that you could action from home (which may be different from your usual role but still be of use)?

You don't need to be strong all on your own. People are already feeling the mental strains of life with COVID, lockdown, not to mention having suffered an ectopic pregnancy. Talking therapies can be very helpful in recovery from ectopic pregnancy, especially as the physical recovery often occurs first. You can ask to see a GP at your practice and ask them to explore ways in which you can get help, and this can include referrals for "talking therapies" or counselling. We have information on our website about finding counselling services. The charity, Mind, may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

No matter what, we are here for you whenever you need. Please know you are not alone and take all the time you need to look after yourself and recover. We are here for you whenever you want to talk.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

gabriel123

Post by gabriel123 »

Thank you so much. I have a few days go by where I feel ready and almost normal so I start to gear up .. then a day will just hit me like a train and it all floods in crippling me. I feel like staying off work any longer will be asking too much from gp I’m not sure, but I know I’m not ready yet and like you say phasing in may help. Thank you for your replies and sending you all lots of love too, this is a circumstance I’d never have even imagined myself in before December and I have immense compassion for anyone experiencing this.