By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Blood tests, what happens next??

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
shelleytracey

Blood tests, what happens next??

Post by shelleytracey »

Hiya, quick brief history.... 2 ectopic pregnancies. 1st one i had to have my right tube removed.... 2nd ectopic, they managed to save my left tube.
Weve been trying for couple of years now and now the doctors are involved.... very early stages....
Questions are that im booked in for blood tests, they said it has to be roughly 21 days after the first day of my period.... just wondered what it looks for? I'm presuming its ovulation thing..... my partner has to do a sperms sample aswell.
And also has anyone ever had help from the doctors and what happened??
What were the steps that you go through?
Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you 😊

EPT Host 20

Re: Blood tests, what happens next??

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Shelley,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses. To experience one loss is difficult to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.
Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your queries. I have found some information from an NHS hospital in the UK and I hope this helps

https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/our- ... tions.aspx

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

NovemberRain

Re: Blood tests, what happens next??

Post by NovemberRain »

@shelleytracey

Day 21 blood tests are used to check if you ovulated that month. If you have a normal 28 day cycle and ovulate around day 14, your progesterone levels will be at their highest on day 21. If your cycles are longer than 28 days it might be better to do the test a few days later.

I had the day 21 blood test done a few years ago, and day 3 which checks FSH levels are normal. I also had the HSG dye test to check that both tubes were clear of blockages. I conceived our daughter 3 months after the dye test. She was 8 months old when I fell pregnant again which turned out to be ectopic. I had emergency surgery at almost 6 weeks and lost my left tube.

I'm now going through the fertility work up again as I'm 39 and my cycles have been a bit erratic since the ectopic. First cycle arrived 6 weeks post surgery, then I had a 25 day cycle, then 33 days which might be due to the ectopic or could be an ovulation issue so getting some tests done for peace of mind and praying that things settle to their normal rhythm, around 27 day cycles for me (well, ideally no periods at all and a healthy pregnancy instead!)

Hope that helps
NovemberRain