By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Anti D injection following ectopic tube removal?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Emmab836

Anti D injection following ectopic tube removal?

Post by Emmab836 »

Hi all,

I will try to keep this short. I had emergency surgery to remove ectopic pregnancy and right tube on the 8th February 2021. Two days later I miscarried the other pregnancy I had which was in the womb. Recently I was told by a friend that I should have had an anti d injection following my surgery (I had the injection following the birth of my daughter in 2017 but it didn’t occur to me at the time of the ectopic I would need it) I rang my gp who contacted the hospital to see if I have had it. I’ve now heard back from them to say that I didn’t have it but should have done and that they would do a blood test to see if any antibodies have formed. I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else before and if anyone knows how this can affect future pregnancies?

Many thanks
Emma

EPT Host 22

Re: Anti D injection following ectopic tube removal?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Emma,

I'm so sorry that you have suffered this ectopic pregnancy and are going through this worrying time. I'm not medically qualified and cannot comment on your specific case.

However, I've included some general information, found on the NHS website. I hope that the information below can help with a more understanding and equipping you with some extra information with which to continue discussions with her medical team.

Rhesus disease is a condition where antibodies in a pregnant woman's blood destroy her baby's blood cells. It's also known as haemolytic disease of the foetus and newborn (HDFN). Rhesus disease doesn’t harm the mother, but it can cause the baby to become anaemic and develop jaundice.

Rhesus disease happens when the mother has rhesus negative blood (RhD negative) and the baby in her womb has rhesus positive blood (RhD positive). The mother must have also been previously sensitised to RhD positive blood.

Sensitisation happens when a woman with RhD negative blood is exposed to RhD positive blood, usually during a previous pregnancy with an RhD positive baby. The woman’s body responds to the RhD positive blood by producing antibodies (infection-fighting molecules) that recognise the foreign blood cells and destroy them.

A woman is given anti-d when having ectopic pregnancy surgery as this anti-D immunoglobulin helps to remove the RhD foetal blood cells before they can cause sensitisation.

This is because if sensitisation occurs, the next time the woman is exposed to RhD positive blood, her body produces antibodies immediately. If she's pregnant with an RhD positive baby, the antibodies can cross the placenta, causing rhesus disease in the unborn baby.

I encourage you to keep working with your GP and medical providers on this topic. And know that we are here for you throughout your journey.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

During the coronavirus outbreak, The EPT team is still working hard to provide crucial information and support to women and families experiencing ectopic pregnancy as quickly and efficiently as we can.
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering or fundraising?
Further information is available at ectopic.org.uk
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back helpline service: 020 7733 2653
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list here: https://mailchi.mp/986bdd6091ee/ectopic-matters
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

rsrp82

Post by rsrp82 »

Hi Emma,

I am really sorry for your loss. I am 9 days post op, also had my ectopic pregnancy removed along with my left tube while also having another baby in my womb. I was given the anti D injection right after my operation, not sure if it was due to the ectopic baby or the one in my uterus tho.

It is not easy going through what we have gone through but hope you are ok.

LauraG

Post by LauraG »

I had an ectopic pregnancy in Nov/Dec. I had 2 failed injections of methotrexate and then surgery. After each I had an injection of anti d. I've also got 2 children and had anti d with both pregnancies although I didn't need it once I'd delivered as both my children are also O-